Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 10:17 PM

Re: Do You Think You Have The Makings Of A Forum Moderator?!!

In the days when I was more keen on forums, I've been a Moderator on three of them (Computer and/or Photography forums). I gave the jobs up in fairness to the forums because interest I once had has faded. I might make an occasional post or have the odd burst of enthusiasm but not much more than that these days.

I had to give rulings on some occasions but I don't think Admin or the Membership of the forums ever thought badly of me. It looks like I must have had the makings of a Moderator at one time but I clearly haven't got what it takes now.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 10:25 PM

Depends on the shout, being a Bouncer at the local Club and Institute, has different connotations to, looking after the door at a rave.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 11:38 PM

I have been & was, but I'm glad I'm not now. It's sometimes a thankless task & I am far to soft & could have done without the hassle.
The Mods here are far better than I ever was.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 11:56 PM

I'd be brilliant and everyone would do as I say and behave nicely!

All three of them!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 12:00 AM

One thing I'd be interested to learn is just how much of your time does being a mod entail?

I have no experience of the matter, but I had thought that mods keep an eye on all posts that appear on the forum. When you consider just how many posts are made, that sounds a very big job.

More importantly, posts are made pretty much 24 hours a day. Surely mods cannot sit at their computers 24/7, can they? Or do they work in shifts?

So how is it done?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 12:01 AM

Are we recruiting?
I am a mod on a military site...which to be honest moderates itself so no major issues with the job...but I doubt I could moderate a site like this, it does require tact, patience, a sense of humour and intelligence.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I'd be brilliant and everyone would do as I say and behave nicely!

All three of them!
@Tess
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
One thing I'd be interested to learn is just how much of your time does being a mod entail?

I have no experience of the matter, but I had thought that mods keep an eye on all posts that appear on the forum. When you consider just how many posts are made, that sounds a very big job.

More importantly, posts are made pretty much 24 hours a day. Surely mods cannot sit at their computers 24/7, can they? Or do they work in shifts?

So how is it done?
I used to confer with the other Mods & Admin & we worked it out that way. Though I was on a lot more then than I am now. We didn't have any overseas members in the ones I Modded.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
It is a job l would hate but what about you, is it something you would quite fancy doing?
For the purpose of keeping within the rules, it has to be an imaginary forum!
Would you be strict, fairly laid back or something else?!!

Admin, please feel free to pull this thread if it is not acceptable!
I was one once on another forum, it was not a task I would wish to take on again that is for sure.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 09:46 AM

I think a good forum is where you forget who the moderators are, they are low key and unobtrusive.

Would I like to be one or would I make a good one? I don't think I'm committed enough, I come and go and I never read all the threads so I would not be a good choice.....life gets in the way.

Good one Graham, I appreciate a man who is friends with the washing machine

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top