Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 12:21 PM

Re: Women Pension Risk

Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
Swim I agree with most of your comments but how much more do you want us to to pay in contributions. I seemed to pay higher contributions than my ex husband and taxed accordingly. I chose in 1976 to pay the full rate contribution in NI. Many women misguided in my opinion paid the lower rate. Mens contributions stayed the same regardless.

Julie many women due to financial pressures have no option but to work, have a family and care for elderly relative.

I paid and many others have paid those contributions and want what is rightly theirs .

By choice I wanted to work but I also want fairness for all women.
Hi

The point is that had this issue been addressed 20 odd years ago, when it was known about, any increase would have been relatively small.

It wasn't, so now the problem is a big one.

The lack of funding for State Pensions affects men and women equally.

In reality we have only paid enough money in to fund just over 80% of our State Pensions.

State Pensions are paid out of current taxation, the Government have not invested our NI Contributions, unlike other some other Countries.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 01:33 PM

Swim I agree with most of your comments but how much more do you want us to to pay in contributions. I seemed to pay higher contributions than my ex husband and taxed accordingly. I chose in 1976 to pay the full rate contribution in NI. Many women misguided in my opinion paid the lower rate. Mens contributions stayed the same regardless.

Julie many women due to financial pressures have no option but to work, have a family and care for elderly relative.

I paid and many others have paid those contributions and want what is rightly theirs .

By choice I wanted to work but I also want fairness for all women.
I don't doubt that I did it too, still am. But no matter how it's done having children and elderly care does stop women being as financially active as men generally. I watch the young ones at work not able to stay that extra hour because they have to get home, the men staying til 8pm getting a head and earning more in higher positions. It's only the single ladies can match them.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't doubt that I did it too, still am. But no matter how it's done having children and elderly care does stop women being as financially active as men generally. I watch the young ones at work not able to stay that extra hour because they have to get home, the men staying til 8pm getting a head and earning more in higher positions. It's only the single ladies can match them.
I totally agree with that one Julie when I was on shifts I would ask for volunteers to do extra. It was always us oldies stepping forward and massive sulks from the youngsters.

I have always worked full time juggling a career, home, life in general. Today's youngsters, not all seem to find it so hard
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The point is that had this issue been addressed 20 odd years ago, when it was known about, any increase would have been relatively small.

It wasn't, so now the problem is a big one.

The lack of funding for State Pensions affects men and women equally.

In reality we have only paid enough money in to fund just over 80% of our State Pensions.

State Pensions are paid out of current taxation, the Government have not invested our NI Contributions, unlike other some other Countries.

Agree

There is another shock coming too.

The new state pension. If you have a private pension that is contracted out you will not get the higher figure quoted.

Most will end

up with the same or equivalent to today's state pension with no increases.

All government regardless of which party have blurred the truth.

Annoying to us that never claimed a penny off the state

Successive Governments, should have reviewed welfare policy.

They were told years ago about the NHS but choose to ignore.

I moved abroad not wealthy by all means to get a beter service all round..

Phew that's better
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 03:42 PM

Agree

There is another shock coming too.

The new state pension. If you have a private pension that is contracted out you will not get the higher figure quoted.

Most will end

up with the same or equivalent to today's state pension with no increases.

All government regardless of which party have blurred the truth.

Annoying to us that never claimed a penny off the state

Successive Governments, should have reviewed welfare policy.

They were told years ago about the NHS but choose to ignore.

I moved abroad not wealthy by all means to get a beter service all round..

Phew that's better
Hi

I know Goldie, my so called £155 a week ends up as £123.

That is when the idiots finally get round to paying it, I haven't had a penny yet since December when it was due.
Goldielocks
Spain

09-03-2017, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I know Goldie, my so called £155 a week ends up as £123.

That is when the idiots finally get round to paying it, I haven't had a penny yet since December when it was due.
That is disgusting Swim.

Same here when doing a pension check. I couldn't quiet believe my eyes and thought it was a joke. I telephoned them and yep it was true.

Our generation had the work ethic and thought we were doing the right thing as that is what our parents taught us to work hard, pay our dues.

Unfortunately today's generation unless handed them on a plate haven't got the same view.

I probably would have done the same as I loved my job. Was it worth it.

Who knows
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 05:16 PM

It's a bit unfair to say that I know plenty of young people working really hard and some of the older generation who have lived off the state for many years. People don't change that much IMO there are good and bad in each generation.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

09-03-2017, 05:32 PM

Hi

The thing is Julie that I do agree that many women are disadvantaged by the current situation.

Women do need employment breaks to give birth and look after very young kids.

They are also the ones far more likely to take career breaks to look after older relatives or disabled or very ill children.

It is, to my mind, totally wrong that they should be disadvantaged in any way because of this.

My answer to the problem is this.

We all pay the same NI Contributions, no upper or lower limit and women are given the same NI Contributions when they take time off as Mothers or Carers.

Self Employed pay the same NI as the directly employed and get the same Benefits.

That way we would all be equal.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 05:34 PM

A lot of jobs that used to be filled by school leavers and students are now done by middle aged women. It used to be that supermarket cashiers etc. were mostly youngsters, now they're usually women our age.
Goldielocks
Spain

09-03-2017, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It's a bit unfair to say that I know plenty of young people working really hard and some of the older generation who have lived off the state for many years. People don't change that much IMO there are good and bad in each generation.
Not all Julie but sometimes I had to work harder to cover. There are some hard working youngsters out there believe you me but there are lazy blighters as well

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top