Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 09:17 AM

Re: Microwave v Kettle

As you dont like it made in the microwave, buying a new kettle is the obvious answer. I bought mine 3 years ago from £5 at Morrisons in their value range, hardly expensive and works like a treat. Cheap as chips.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 09:38 AM

Has your kettle got a seperate trip button?
If so it'll just need resetting.
Look underneath for a very small black push button.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 09:47 AM

I also buy the cheap ones from either Morrisons or Wilko. And isn't there a danger of being scalded by water boiled in a microwave because it can suddenly erupt from the vessel? I'm sure the dangers of that have been highlighted on this forum.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 09:57 AM

We thought out kettle was on the way out a couple of months ago so bought a new kettle, it was taking so long to boil, mind you hubby does insist on filling it to the top and I only put enough water in for 2 cups.

At least now we have a spare.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 10:49 AM

When I tried it with a huge mug I nearly burnt my hand off as the micro heated the mug up at the same time. Funnily enough it only heats that particular mug up .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It is all to do with the temperature of the water.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-...idea-97452679/

I am not tea drinker,a coffee man myself.
Just be grateful you're not in America. They pour some tepid water into your cup and then drop in a small tea bag.

Only the British and the Indians know how to make tea.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
I'm astounded !
A roomful of Poms and not one who knows that real tea is brewed in a teapot .... from loose-leaf tea.

Bloody teabags - dust off the tea-sorting floor !
I'm a bloody Aussie who uses a 100yo English china teapot (with a woollen 'cosy').

I currently have 26 varieties of tea from Australia, China, India, Africa, Sri Lanka (of course) and Indonesia.
Have in the past tried a few from Japan, South America, Vietnam and Iran etc.

Favourites ?
Pu-erh, Kenyan Rooibos, Ti Kuan Yin (oolong), Dilmah 'extra strong', Madura and Daintree.
Often create my own 'blends'.

Don't be fooled by "Oolong" - some are crap.
Ti Kuan Yin gets my tick and is not expensive.

Earl Grey is ..... OK (just) - if mixed with another good quality tea.

Further lessons in tea-making available - for a FEE !
Tea pot and loose tea is for weekends here, when we have time to enjoy the ceremony of it. Bags during the week or tassimo pods if we are feeling flush.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
I'm astounded !
A roomful of Poms and not one who knows that real tea is brewed in a teapot .... from loose-leaf tea.

Bloody teabags - dust off the tea-sorting floor !
I'm a bloody Aussie who uses a 100yo English china teapot (with a woollen 'cosy').

I currently have 26 varieties of tea from Australia, China, India, Africa, Sri Lanka (of course) and Indonesia.
Have in the past tried a few from Japan, South America, Vietnam and Iran etc.

Favourites ?
Pu-erh, Kenyan Rooibos, Ti Kuan Yin (oolong), Dilmah 'extra strong', Madura and Daintree.
Often create my own 'blends'.

Don't be fooled by "Oolong" - some are crap.
Ti Kuan Yin gets my tick and is not expensive.

Earl Grey is ..... OK (just) - if mixed with another good quality tea.

Further lessons in tea-making available - for a FEE !
No PG?
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 05:04 PM

PG is not marketed in Aus, except online (as far as I know).

I vaguely recall trying some many years ago and was not over-impressed.
I think most of their lower-end teas are blends of unknown origin.
A bit like comparing a Johnny Walker Red with a good Single Malt.

That said, I am aware that they do have an upmarket Premium range which probably does include some pretty good stuff.
My address will be made available by PM to any kind Pom who would value my expert opinion - Premium product only, of course.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2016, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
We thought out kettle was on the way out a couple of months ago so bought a new kettle, it was taking so long to boil, mind you hubby does insist on filling it to the top and I only put enough water in for 2 cups.

At least now we have a spare.

*tuts*

Overfilling the kettle is such a waste of electricity

Your OH needs a severe talking to

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top