Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2011, 08:57 AM

Re: Croatia - Dubrovnik

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Korcula is absolutely wonderful. I had a couple of glorious holidays there in the early 70's!
My sister and husband loved it on Korcula.They also went to Brac another year and loved that.

Although we only visited on a day sailing trip from Hvar to Brac I wasn't too keen on what I saw there it seemed barren compared to the pretty island of Hvar

What sticks in my mind about that sailing trip was the lovely sailing across to Brac on flat calm water but the sail back was nerve shattering. A strong squall had built up and the boat was bobbing about like a cork. It was only a small local boat with one sail and 2 man crew. It got so bad the crew had to fight to lower the sail and wanted the 8 passengers to go below deck and fasten down the hatch. I said no way am I going below if we are going to sink I'm going down still on the deck. No one wet below and we survived a very frightening sailing trip.We did find a funny moment though when an elderly couple started to tell us about their funeral plans -(I wonder what ever made them think about their funeral)- with the coop a plan they had taken because they had got a free radio.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2011, 10:30 PM

I'm really enjoying peoples stories of their experiences there!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2011, 10:39 PM

We haven't visited Korcula, Hvar or Brac ...... I feel sure we will return to Croatia for another holiday one day so I'll add those to my list of places to visit.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2011, 07:13 PM

Mags Dubrovnik looks a stunning place, I hope the scars of the recent conflict have healed.

I don't travel far from home these days, I won't put my little dog in kennels so it is lovely to have the chance to share the travelling experiences of others, thank you
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2011, 09:28 PM

Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday Mags, and the pictures are stunning....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2011, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mags Dubrovnik looks a stunning place, I hope the scars of the recent conflict have healed.

I don't travel far from home these days, I won't put my little dog in kennels so it is lovely to have the chance to share the travelling experiences of others, thank you
Meg, there are still a few signs of the conflict remaining but the Old Town shows very little of damage today.

When we were in Dubrovnik two years ago, we also visited Bosnia. It was a depressing sight as many of the bombed buildings still remain.... here are a couple of pics of the damage that still remains untouched -

Quite a depressing sight

Originally Posted by merz ->
Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday Mags, and the pictures are stunning....
Thanks Merz, we had a wonderful time.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2011, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Meg, there are still a few signs of the conflict remaining but the Old Town shows very little of damage today.

When we were in Dubrovnik two years ago, we also visited Bosnia. It was a depressing sight as many of the bombed buildings still remain.... here are a couple of pics of the damage that still remains untouched -
Such a waste on all levels....
On a happier not what was the food like Mags
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

01-07-2011, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Such a waste on all levels....
On a happier not what was the food like Mags
The food was delicious! They use plenty of olive oil and herbs in their dishes which results in mouthwatering meals with lovely aromas.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top