Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

06-04-2012, 05:00 PM

Re: Family Unmoveables.

Each to their own. I expect people to muck in, we don't stand on ceremony.

I am still amused when I think of the time our middle daughter brought her then boyfriend home for the first time. The first thing he did was walk into the kitchen, picked up the kettle and said, "Anyone for a brew?" I knew we would get on well. They have been married 14 years in June, and it is now more a case of me standing over him and insisting he sits down and take it easy these days, especially as he had major back surgery last year.
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2012, 07:24 PM

I visited my sister in OZ for a few weeks. I did not espect her to do everything, for me and my hubby, while staying. I would help with the washing up, Keep the room we stayed in tidy, We also made sure bathroom was left tidy, and go shopping. This was hard to do, because my sister is a lot older than me. She loves to mother me.

When my sister and her hubby come to stay with us in the UK. She is exactly the same. always trying to help me.

I for one cannot espect anybody to wait on me. It would not feel right.

When I go to my daughters and she is busy cleaning, I will give her a hand with it, she also does the same at my house. Same with the daughter in law.

That's what family's do.

If my lot are overstaying their welcome. My hubby says, isn't it about time you went home now, laughing.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 07:08 AM

[QUOTE=Willow;181584]Each to their own. I expect people to muck in, we don't stand on ceremony.

Dont get me wrong, our kids do what they want and inveited guests can use our home as their own but I would not expect them to do work in our home.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

07-04-2012, 11:03 AM

Antibrown, that is up to you. But I expect my children to help out when they visit especially as they bring their kids with them. People are welcome to visit but only if they don't expect to be waited on hand, foot and finger. Naturally I reciprocate when visiting their homes.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 04:01 PM

I never expect guests to do anything, but it's nice when they offer to help.

As for your daughter and her mother in law, does your daughters husband know how she feels. It's his place to lay the law down, it's his mother when all said and done. It seems to me your daughter needs to have a good talk to her husband about the situation.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top