Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Emerald
Yorkshire
Emerald is female  Emerald has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 08:27 AM

Re: Hull City of Culture 2017

Of course I live in this great City - but I did mention in my profile that I am an unrepentant liar. (Actually this only applies to the motor car, because I couldn't spell DeLorian, and probably still can't). Actually I am a neighbour of the 'blessed'(!!!!) John Prescott, so you will probably guess where I am.
Happy New Year to all. Now have to get into the Lamborghini (masquerading as a Yaris today) to deliver a bl**dy birthday card.
Also dear Floydy, UP THE ROBINS!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 11:00 AM

deleted
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 11:11 AM

It`s been many years since I was last in Hull. The fishing industry was gone or going,Reckitts were still there? `The Land of Green Ginger` was not really a chinese opium den and the phone boxes were white.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Emerald ->
Of course I live in this great City - but I did mention in my profile that I am an unrepentant liar. (Actually this only applies to the motor car, because I couldn't spell DeLorian, and probably still can't). Actually I am a neighbour of the 'blessed'(!!!!) John Prescott, so you will probably guess where I am.
Happy New Year to all. Now have to get into the Lamborghini (masquerading as a Yaris today) to deliver a bl**dy birthday card.
Also dear Floydy, UP THE ROBINS!
Love it, Emerald!
Yes, I didn't think you were serious for a moment The Robins! THE ROBINS!!!?? Your estimation suddenly comes crashing down beofre my eyes
Originally Posted by Older git ->
It`s been many years since I was last in Hull. The fishing industry was gone or going,Reckitts were still there? `The Land of Green Ginger` was not really a chinese opium den and the phone boxes were white.
There's still a fishing industry, though in what capacity I'm not certain of these days, Older git.
Reckitt's are still in Hull. Dutch-owned now, but still a major company here, as are local companies Smith & Nephew and Arco.
And sadly, The Land of Green Ginger is just a quaint little back street with a couple of good real ale pubs and estate agents, no cake or confectionery to be seen anywhere!
And the phone boxes are still white, though I can't see who would actually use a phone box these days, whatever colour they are? Surely we all have pocket versions by now?
Knockoutblow
Lancashire
Knockoutblow is male  Knockoutblow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2017, 06:33 AM

If your brutally honest floydy hull is an awful place, and yes I've been there many years ago

And it was that good I hardly remember it.

Where's this fella from it hear you Ask! Well I from the great city of Manchester.

Oh one thing I remember was the fish and chips were very good.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2017, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Knockoutblow ->
If your brutally honest floydy hull is an awful place, and yes I've been there many years ago

And it was that good I hardly remember it.

Where's this fella from it hear you Ask! Well I from the great city of Manchester.

Oh one thing I remember was the fish and chips were very good.
Lol! You've begun on the right foot, haven't you mate? Are you sort of trying to convince me to agree with you that Hull is an awful place??! That's YOUR viewpoint. I've lived here all my life and I'm very happy here. (Hope you're not a troll). Anyway...
Some useful info for anyone planning to visit:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...42059868,d.d2s

A fantastic opening night for Hull’s City of Culture celebrations:
Shopping is thriving in Hull with a planned outlet to open soon in the city centre:
If it’s pubs you’re looking for, these are some of the very best:

Always here to help folks!
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2017, 05:13 PM

Some interesting stuff there thanks Floydy, particularly about Princes Quay. I always felt a bit sad that the centre suffered at the expense of St Stephens, I used to love the little boutique shops on the top floor and the great Italian restaurant there many moons ago. Let's hope it comes alive again in the near future.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

06-01-2017, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
Some interesting stuff there thanks Floydy, particularly about Princes Quay. I always felt a bit sad that the centre suffered at the expense of St Stephens, I used to love the little boutique shops on the top floor and the great Italian restaurant there many moons ago. Let's hope it comes alive again in the near future.
Yes Val, those little curio shops were quite interesting weren't they? Hopefully they will do something similar again - plenty of empty spaces now so here's hoping!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 10:36 AM

Just been watching a video of the street illuminations and some photos of the fireworks. This was the subject of my local Radio tother day, i was working in Glasgow when they received the City of Culture award, certainly transformed the city, hopefully it will have the same benefit for Hull.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 11:08 AM

Parents lived in Great Driffield and my mother had a medical problem, so was put in the Lady Hospital, from where I popped out. Believe the hospital has long gone. Only been back for a couple of business calls. Architecturally, there are some fine buildings from the Great Age of Kingston upon Hull.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top