Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 09:29 PM

Re: Foreign Workers

I have had British workers before for other things,they have stopped for coffee break/ lunch and logged off by early evening.These workers worked continuous and stayed quite late one day because they hadnt finished the job, I didnt choose them for their cost ,but because the company has a good name, I looked them up onlne and they have a good reputation for quality and hard work.I prefer to use British workers if possible ,but most of our skilled workers are going abroad for better pay so not many available
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
I have had British workers before for other things,they have stopped for coffee break/ lunch and logged off by early evening.These workers worked continuous and stayed quite late one day because they hadnt finished the job, I didnt choose them for their cost ,but because the company has a good name, I looked them up onlne and they have a good reputation for quality and hard work.I prefer to use British workers if possible ,but most of our skilled workers are going abroad for better pay so not many available
More applause, thank you.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
You chose them.

British tradesmen(not odd job men)work to some of the strictest regs in Europe and are more closely scrutinised than their EU counterparts.
Are you sure about that? It is not my experience.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Are you sure about that? It is not my experience.
Yes, I can state that with confidence.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 10:51 PM

During my lifetime of working in domestic and commercial properties, I have seen both sides of the coin. I have witnessed absolute crap work from migrants ( especially in the heating and plumbing sector ) Their work has been sub-standard and nowhere near as good as their British counterparts.
Unfortunately, some of these migrants charge stupid money ( especially boiler changes ) and the Brits cannot compete.
Find a good, honest Brit tradesman through recommendations and you wont go wrong.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 10:56 PM

Yes, it is easy to undercut, when you live in a commune.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

28-02-2016, 11:03 PM

And don't pay tax or NI or public liability or the going rate etc.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 11:07 PM

It is concerning that this is what the people want.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Now call me a fool by all means but I like to know the workers are being paid a reasonable wage and I wasn't convinced the cheaper quotes were going to pay their workers a decent wage.
It's not just the wages, you want to know that they are properly insured, if a pipe burst while they were working in your house you would want to know that the insurance would make good all the damage. Likewise you'd want to know that the electricians and gas fitters were certified, for the 'sparks' that means NICEIC approved, and if they are so approved they have a lot of paperwork to provide after the job is done. You will (or should) have got a numbered DEIC (Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate) which is a valuable safety certificate and costs a lot.

Chances are the foreign workers will not have:-
a) Insurance
b) Certification
c) DEIC (and the Gas / Oil equivalents)

But they know the British are mugs and will not bother with these important things until something goes wrong and then they will moan like hell. But not to worry the Polish workers can hop on a plane back to Warsaw and I can assure you from my 11 years living in that part of the world that there isn't a hope in hell of ever getting the Polish Police to trace them

So you did well Julie and no way would I call you a fool
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 11:12 PM

The biggest mistake this country made was when we started sending all our young people to university taking 'media studies' or some such waste of time. Now it's considered a write of passage. I don't know many ex students who actually got jobs related to their university qualifications.

We had an English bloke do our bathroom, absolutely brilliant would recommend him unreservedly, but it cost us.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top