Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2013, 06:30 PM

Re: Take Fat !

in similar way, we buy broccoli with a huge stalk at the end, which we throw away, and must cost quite a bit. I notice that there are always several stalks cut and left in the crate, so people must go shopping with a knife to cut this off. Now is this the thing to do or not?
astrolady
Field
astrolady is female  astrolady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2013, 06:55 PM

Haha Daisymay,that was funny.
Know what you mean about the "nice" cup of tea etc, we never ask for a horrible one do we ?

Stella i'm going to do like you and buy a gammon joint and slice it up,i'd save lots of dosh.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2013, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by astrolady ->
Haha Daisymay,that was funny.
Know what you mean about the "nice" cup of tea etc, we never ask for a horrible one do we ?

Stella i'm going to do like you and buy a gammon joint and slice it up,i'd save lots of dosh.
Yes Astro, we get ours from Morrisons and it lasts us for a good salad meal and then quite a few sarnies another day too - it's lovely gammon. If you have a pressure cooker you can cook a kilo joint in 25 minutes and it is lovely and tender.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2013, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Stella H ->
Yes Astro, we get ours from Morrisons and it lasts us for a good salad meal and then quite a few sarnies another day too - it's lovely gammon. If you have a pressure cooker you can cook a kilo joint in 25 minutes and it is lovely and tender.

Stella darlin' - why not stud the gammon joint with cloves, smother with (whole grain) mustard and spoon over some honey. Then wrap the joint in foil, and roast in the oven - voila!!! - honey roast ham!!!
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2013, 02:08 PM

Yes true Uncle J, that is another way you can do it and it's lovely but I use the pressure cooker when I'm in a rush to do it.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2013, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by valice ->
in similar way, we buy broccoli with a huge stalk at the end, which we throw away, and must cost quite a bit. I notice that there are always several stalks cut and left in the crate, so people must go shopping with a knife to cut this off. Now is this the thing to do or not?
My son loves the stalks of broccoli and quite often when we have a fresh one I chop off the stalk and cut it into batons and he has it as an 'extra' veg. However, and I think I have mentioned this before, whenever I am making a soup, if I have cauli or broc in the 'fridge, I dice the stalks up and add to the soup, gives an extra depth to the flavour and apparently there is more goodness in the stalks than in the florets.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2013, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by valice ->
I don't like broccoli stems so if I'm buying and there is an enormous stem that will weigh a fair bit, I just snap it off and leave it there.

With the complaining about excessive fat - I bought some pork chops from a butcher and noticed there was a considerable amount of fat on them. He weighed them and told me the price - I told him I didn't want all that fat on them. He said 'lady - you show me the pig with no fat and I'll cut you some fatless chops from it'

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top