Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2012, 04:44 PM

Re: Do you collect anything?

I collect 'Country Companions' figurines. I've got about fifty of them in all, prices ranging from £15-£70. They are mainly hedgehogs, but also include rabbits and squirrels. They wear bright coloured clothes.

They are obsolete now but I have kept all the boxes and I would never part with them.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2012, 01:37 PM

I was looking at "Bargain Hunt" on TV earlier and one of the presenters, not Tim Wonnacott, I love that Man, some other fella, he said to one of the contestants that she should buy a set of Military buttons she was looking at as they "Are very collectable these days". This made me wonder are there many collectors left, I'm not talking about Art, properties, jewellery and the like, just ordinary things. Collecting things was very popular when I was young, stamps, cigarette cards, comics etc., I use to collect beer mats well into my forties, had thousands of unsoiled mats going back to the 1950's, then I gave them all to my younger Brother who still collects them. Any of you Folks collect anything?. The only thing I collect now is pains and aches.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2012, 03:47 PM

I did have a spell of collecting novelty tea pots but got fed up with the clutter and gave them all to a charity shop.

My husband is like steptoe, he collects junk and I throw it out
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2012, 05:18 PM

Before I downsized in 2002 I collected old galvanized watering cans, from dumps, boot sales and wherever. I had 29 of them , but space was limited in my new home so I painted most of them & gave them away . I seldom see old watering cans nowadays, they must have been all snapped up.

Nowadays modern ones are plentiful, but they’re thin and flimsy & have no appeal.

Kitchenalia in the form of enamel ware I collected for a while. Mostly the white with a dark blue trim, more rare was the cream coloured with a green trim or red trim.

For a time I was very interested in inspection covers, formerly referred to as “man hole covers”. Some of them are quite old surviving from the Victorian period.

Good ones are clearly marked with the company who the underground works is responsible for, the year of manufacture & the name of the manufacturer. I photographed each one, after my attempts at “ brass rubbing” them were not very practical.

If the current wave of inspection cover thefts by unscrupulous scrap metal dealers reaches the south coast, I will be able to supply an exact copy to interested parties for replacements to be ordered.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2012, 05:50 PM

Money???
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2012, 06:25 PM

Very good Uncle Joe

I collect Country Companion figurines, hedgehogs, rabbits, badgers, squirrells. I've got about 50 of them and I have all the boxes They are discontinued now so I can't buy anymore.

I love the bright coloures on them.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2012, 06:45 PM

Rubbish and bills!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2012, 06:59 PM

Aches and pains!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2012, 07:21 AM

I started collecting when I was in my forty's and now I have thousands of them.
Grey Hairs.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2012, 10:34 AM

I tried to stop collecting things when I retired and although I like to look I rarely buy and seem to have lost the desire. I never used to be able to resist an attractive plant in a garden centre, but the garden is full of the plants I like to keep and I give stuff away more than collect these days. I must be very difficult to buy a present for and it's strange that now I have time, etc. I no longer want to collect anything much.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top