Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2012, 11:03 AM

Re: Cyclists.

I'd never take my bike into the big Towns or Citys unless they had plenty of Cycle Lanes. Being both a Driver and a Cyclist I can see both sides of the row. Yes some Cyclists are a real pain and do as they please, personally I think they should be made to follow the rules of the road and be hauled into court or spot fined if they dont. BUT there are a lot of car owners out there who go out of their way to make the Cyclist's life hell.

When I was in Holland it was the Cars that were banned from the City Centers and it was all geared toward Bikes.....so refreshing and everyone used the Bike. I loved it.

Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2012, 03:01 AM

In Holland, the rule of the road is on the side of cyclists. I remember driving through Rotterdam and they came out through every part of the compass, but they had the right of way. My hair stood on end! Frikkening!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2012, 11:23 AM

Mollie, the law as it stands in the UK is

you must not ride, for example:
on the pavement – unless signs show that cyclists are allowed to cycle on it.

So people are allowed to ride on pavements.

I am totally against it though but I can understand it when you look at the idiots driving cars these days. Most of them do not know the highway code and I reckon that over 50% have poor eyesight judging by how they ignore road signs.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2012, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Mollie, the law as it stands in the UK is

you must not ride, for example:
on the pavement – unless signs show that cyclists are allowed to cycle on it.

So people are allowed to ride on pavements.

I am totally against it though but I can understand it when you look at the idiots driving cars these days. Most of them do not know the highway code and I reckon that over 50% have poor eyesight judging by how they ignore road signs.

It is the Highway Code and not the law. I have had this discussion with a copper I know and he said that the Highway Code is not strictly the law and the police don't have the manpower to enforce the rules. He commented that if they started fining cyclists for riding on the pavement there would likely as not be a general outcry of "haven't the police got anything better to do"

I would fine the lot of them personally as cyclists in London are a nightmare and a danger to pedestrians but its not going to happen.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2012, 03:54 PM

Val darlin' - the paltry sums that they hand out in fines (even when they are paid) isn't sufficient to justify the manpower in trying to enforce. However if they multiplied the fines by a factor of 10 then it just might be worthwhile to enforce the law.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2012, 02:30 AM

No, the Highway Code is not law, but it is a guideline for those using wheels and it is common sense.

Why would anybody on a bicycle want to ride on the pavement, then go round corners when they can't see what is around them?

Point in case. I was standing outside my place of work one day, which is on a corner, when a cyclist came flying down on the pavement past me and took a left around the corner from where I was standing. He mowed into an old man knocking him on his back.

The elderly gentleman said he was alright and didn't need an ambulance, but the ignorant cyclist left him there! We made sure he was alright though.

I am very tolerant as a car driver to cyclists and slow down for them, then only overtake when I can give them at least six feet of clearance, but I'm afraid to say I've seen many cyclists just totally flout the LAW as regards traffic lights and are a danger on the roads.

I have never seen a single sign in my home town where there are signs which show that a cyclist may ride on the pavement, in my 35 years of driving.

As I said, the Highway Code is not law, but the Police do abide by their common sense protocols.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
No, the Highway Code is not law, but it is a guideline for those using wheels and it is common sense.

The highway code is a list of 'recommendations for everyone not just those using wheels but the parts that contain 'must' are law and subsequently carry fines and other punishments if you break them.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2012, 08:53 AM

As I said, the Highway Code is not law, but the Police do abide by their common sense protocols.

Yes Mollie darlin' - the Police do apply their protocols, they turn a blind eye and when asked to take action reply that it isn't their job to do so.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2012, 11:36 AM

I have never seen a single sign in my home town where there are signs which show that a cyclist may ride on the pavement, in my 35 years of driving.

I've seen lots of cycle paths Mollie, they have some in Carlisle and when I lived in Oxfordshire they had them there as well.
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2012, 12:10 PM

I've just been listening to a call in on Radio Scotland about this very thing this morning.
Lessons and Manners need to be learned from both Motorists and Cyclists alike,
It is against the Law for bikes to be on the Pavement but in some places pavements have been widened and are now part bike lane and part pavement.
The main thought though is....As the Government is going on about more people taking to the bike instead if the car....they put their money where their big mouths are and make it safe for the Cyclist.
Also it should be made part of the driving lessons and test that the learner spend some time on a bike so they find out for themselves just how dangerous it really is for a Cyclist and just how exposed they feel on a bike.
Also it should be law that bikes have a mirror fitted to the handlebars so as they can see what's going on behind as well as in front.
Personally I find it really scary on my Bike at times as a lot of Motorists just don't think Bikes and don't give you the room you need.
Several people also said they'd love to use their bikes but are just too scared to as they didn't feel safe on the road with all the traffic.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top