Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
anna
Norway
anna is female  anna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2012, 12:38 AM

Re: Rimadyl

My little doggie have been taking Rimadyl for the last six years due to her hip joint problems. She does not seem to have any problems with her medication though.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2012, 01:46 PM

Ruud is now in good health and I was foolish enough to read an American site which proclaimed Rimadyl to be very very dangerous even fatal. It was telling people whose pets had died while taking Rimadyl that they could join in sueing pfzier. I jumped to the worst conclusion and I am usually quite level headed about these things but because it is Ruud just like if it were one of by children I just saw the red haze.

Glad to know Hatti is well, I was thinking while I was in the vets last night we spend an amazing amount of money on keeping our loved ones well. I think when I return to this world I will be a vet.

Anna what sort of dog do you have, they say labs and German Sheperds are particularly prone to hip promlems.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2012, 10:22 PM

Good to hear Ruud is in good health now Cate. That's one of the things I do Cate when Hatti is given medication, or when she's not well-look it up on the interenet, then worry myself stupid. Keep saying I won't do it again...but I always do!!!!!
anna
Norway
anna is female  anna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 03:50 AM

Hi Cookiecate,

My loved one is a rottweiler, and they are also prone to hip problems like many other large, fast growing breeds
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by anna ->
Hi Cookiecate,

My loved one is a rottweiler, and they are also prone to hip problems like many other large, fast growing breeds
Is that the reason, because they are fast growing. Now I thought the Alsation/German Shepherd had hip problems because of being bred to look slender at the back, they just don't seem to have any hips
stablelady
Angus, Scotland
stablelady is female  stablelady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
Is that the reason, because they are fast growing. Now I thought the Alsation/German Shepherd had hip problems because of being bred to look slender at the back, they just don't seem to have any hips
Yes, you are so right about the German Shepherds, I have seen some that look and probably are totally deformed! It is a sin that this trait is being continually bred into dogs.

I used to work with the police and I remember well the first proper German Shepherd I ever saw, he was big, with a broad back, good hips and a broad intelligent forehead. He had been brought over from Germany and looked (in build) more like a large rough tough border collie!
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 01:42 PM

You are both right, it is heartbreaking to see the german shepherds, with their back end almost to the ground and their back legs bent double underneath them. My Murphy was a huge long haired straight back and I was so proud of him for that, no hip troubles whatever and his back was broad from his neck to his tail, his stance was a wonderful sight. He had the broad head and yes, stood next to my old border collie they were similar, feathers, the lot. Mind you, their expressions were the opposite, Murphy's happy grin and Bobby's soulful border collie face
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

02-02-2012, 01:53 PM

We were only saying yesterday if dogs could only speak the Border Collie would be just as you say soulful and not happy with his lot, his cup would never be full. Murphy sounds wonderful, you just don't see any German Shepherds like him. If I do I always tell the owner how magnificent they are.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
We were only saying yesterday if dogs could only speak the Border Collie would be just as you say soulful and not happy with his lot, his cup would never be full. Murphy sounds wonderful, you just don't see any German Shepherds like him. If I do I always tell the owner how magnificent they are.
Good for you Cate, they are magnificent. I only met one other GSD like Murphy in all his nine years. I used to watch the GSDs at Crufts on TV and wondered how in God's name can these experts class them as healthy? Although Bobby always had a soulful look and trotted along with his head down and tail tucked in, that was just his way and many border collies do the same. Inside he was the most joyful, optimistic (always ready for a game of ball) doggy around.

Is Ruud still on the Rimadyl? I seem to have lost the thread here.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

02-02-2012, 03:08 PM

No Ruud was only on Rimadyl for about a week for his sniffles he is right as rain again.

Like you we used to get quite angry with people who took the fabulous GS and turned them into something that although they won cruft prizes they wouldn't live so long and would be in pain towards the end of their lives.

I know about th border collie, my friends have them and they are lovely dogs just sometimes they look as if they take the world too seriously but how I love to see them on the beach when it is ball fetching time.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top