Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 06:18 PM

Re: My house is small...

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Minx sounds like a good plan, if you decide on a change of lifestyle my advice is do it while you can.

I retired with the intention of leaving this 3 bedroom house for something much smaller but found smaller houses were in short supply and cost as much as this one leaving nothing to cover the costs of selling and a new purchase. Also I couldn't find anything that matched the seclusion and beauty of where I live now.

It is 12 years since I retired and in that time my health and ability to do the things I have always done like decorating have deteriorated considerably and I am not sure I could manage a move now.
Meg, I know what you mean about the decorating, I always did all the painting and papering walls, I liked doing it, but that's a think of the past now, I get dizzy just hang out the washing,
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
No such free luxuries for us two here Donk; we have prepaid arrangements with with Age UK and all it takes is one phone call and they take care of the rest
Yes l expect l will do the same l haven't got a handy tree ?

Dman! 👎👎
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I did have similar plans to yours minx, but family concerns got in the away on afraid !
However, if you are independent and able to cope with all the
driving, and hitching and unhitching etc then go for it !!
I can think of no better way to pass your retirement years??
Of course you need to be able to finance yourself and you
obviously are happy with your own company, which is also important!
Bloody great idea l think !!

Donkeyman! 👍👍😄😄👍👍
Thanks Donkeyman. I see so many people here living the lifestyle and loving it. I’m very capable of hitching and unhitching and setting up camp. Lots of practice but you can get people to help love my own company as well
I’ll just rent out my property until I can’t travel anymore probably due to sickness or mobility issues.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Although I loved my last job (postman) I couldn't wait until I could retire Minx. Being an only child I've always been able to find something to do to keep me occupied. I've got lots of hobbies, and even some waiting in the wings that I would like to do if I can find the time. No doubt the sporting ones will soon start to diminish, and when they do I'll just move to something else to fill the hole left behind.

Our house is also small (two bedroom bungalow) but after our daughter was born back in 1973 we resisted the urge to move somewhere bigger and have more kids... I'm glad we did decide to stay because it's just big enough now and after almost fifty years here they will have to drag me out in a coffin...Probably not too far away if I'm to believe all the fearmongering stuff about not having a covid jab...
You made the right decision. Smaller is better. I’m worried because my house is huge. I had considered converting it into a guest house one day since I’m very close to the airport. Good income potential.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

24-03-2021, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
My house is small but it's my sanctuary , my home my place of safety where no one can hurt me and where life is calm peaceful and kind . It's a tiny teeny 2 bed mid terrace , its warm and clean and smells beautiful . It has open doors for friends who wish to visit and if they need a listening ear. Food aplenty and open house twice a year for a house full of good friends where mulled wine is made in the winter and pimms in the summer. Sharing fun laughter and tears . At the end of the day I climb into my cloud and snuggle under the duvet thanking the universe for another safe and happy day for all my family and friends and sleep until a new day dawns. 💕
That sounds absolutely blissful Susan! It doesn’t take much to be happy
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

24-03-2021, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Nice thought. Nice lifestyle, nice climate. I wish you well with it.
I suppose I have had quite a lot of interesting experiences possibly a few to come.
Still plans at this stage. I’m seeing so many couples who have done so and a few lone men but no women as yet...
It would be nice to try moving locations every three months. Just a dream at this point!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

24-03-2021, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
It's the limiting effects of the approaching senility that I find impinging. Almost 78 and I feel more like 108 at times. Advancing years suck big time
Then perhaps it’s better to live our dreams whilst we still can .
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

24-03-2021, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Minx sounds like a good plan, if you decide on a change of lifestyle my advice is do it while you can.

I retired with the intention of leaving this 3 bedroom house for something much smaller but found smaller houses were in short supply and cost as much as this one leaving nothing to cover the costs of selling and a new purchase. Also I couldn't find anything that matched the seclusion and beauty of where I live now.

It is 12 years since I retired and in that time my health and ability to do the things I have always done like decorating have deteriorated considerably and I am not sure I could manage a move now.
Sound advice Meg! It’s a mission to set up and dismantle camp.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 07:47 PM

I too live in a two bed bungalow, there’s three of us here, and yes, I wish we’d moved years ago, Mrs,p would move tomorrow if she could, but we have a reasonable garden with a lovely summerhouse we can sit in and relax on those lovely summer days and evenings with a nice drink of something cold, I’m not sure of my retirement plans yet, I have just over 5 years before I can claim my state pension, but I could actually go now as I have a not two bad private pension, but I’ll stick it out for at least a couple more years, even if I leave this job I’d try and find something else, part time maybe, minx, your retirement sounds idyllic and we’ve thought about buying a motor home and travelling the uk, but I think we’d tire of that quite quickly...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by paula ->
Meg, I know what you mean about the decorating, I always did all the painting and papering walls, I liked doing it, but that's a think of the past now, I get dizzy just hang out the washing,
Commiserations Paula , it's no fun getting old. I have arthritis in my hands and my sight isn't great making decorating very difficult.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top