Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2021, 10:49 PM

Re: Free speech at university?

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Yes, they do. It'a s real shocker, isn't it .
Do these professors hope to encourage their students to agree with their own statements, or to learn to think for themselves?

I'd argue that the former is a very basic level of education, mainly found at primary education establishments.

The latter is the sort of learning and experience one would hope to instil at higher levels of education and research, especially at PhD level.

And I understood that America has some of the very best universities, some even more highly regarded than Oxford and Cambridge.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2021, 10:52 PM

When I was in Uni (as a mature student in my 30's), we were encouraged to argue against the books, against the lecturers. This was the way to encourage critical thinking, create debate, encourage conversation. To simply agree with what was put in front of you, was regarded as lazy.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2021, 10:55 PM

Laziness is everywhere, folks can't be arsed at all levels.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2021, 10:56 PM

I'd like to say, let them get on with it, but they probably can't be arsed.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2021, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
True
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2021, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Do these professors hope to encourage their students to agree with their own statements, or to learn to think for themselves?

I'd argue that the former is a very basic level of education, mainly found at primary education establishments.

The latter is the sort of learning and experience one would hope to instil at higher levels of education and research, especially at PhD level.

And I understood that America has some of the very best universities, some even more highly regarded than Oxford and Cambridge.
You would hope so, but it isn't always the case.

Certainly there are professors who, with even a modicum of understanding ethics and philosophy, understand that taking the opposing view has many merits - including affirmation of a stance, sealing up holes, creating new hypotheses, becoming better at rhetoric, etc.

Even so, there are more than a few who get so caught up in their own sanctimonious ideology that the classroom becomes a pulpit.

My son, adopted from Russia and thus a proponent of adoption-before-abortion, had to go to his dean (at a highly regarded university) about being downgraded for not being more pro-abortion. He said that on more than one occasion the professor went into near meltdown in class for disagreeing with him. My son won the dispute and the exam grade was changed, though I am unsure about what the outcome was with the professor.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2021, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Many universities in this country these days exist almost solely on the basis of their Mickey Mouse degrees!

As far as their students are concerned, university is a place where they can enjoy themselves pratting about and getting drunk for three or four years. They're given a grant to allow them to do this which, of course, they'll never have to repay as they're never likely to obtain a job with a sufficient salary.

What an absolute waste! Thank you Tony B Liar.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-02-2021, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by surfermom ->
you would hope so, but it isn't always the case.

Certainly there are professors who, with even a modicum of understanding ethics and philosophy, understand that taking the opposing view has many merits - including affirmation of a stance, sealing up holes, creating new hypotheses, becoming better at rhetoric, etc.

Even so, there are more than a few who get so caught up in their own sanctimonious ideology that the classroom becomes a pulpit. My son, adopted from russia and thus a proponent of adoption-before-adoption, had to go to his dean (at a highly regarded university) about being downgraded for not being more pro-abortion. He said that on more than one occasion the professor went into near meltdown in class for disagreeing with him. my son won the argument
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

19-02-2021, 11:06 PM

Many universities in this country these days exist almost solely on the basis of their Mickey Mouse degrees!

As far as their students are concerned, university is a place where they can enjoy themselves pratting about and getting drunk for three or four years. They're given a grant to allow them to do this which, of course, they'll never have to repay as they're never likely to obtain a job with a sufficient salary.

A student loan is not a grant. I'm still paying mine back.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 02:35 AM

Goodness me universities in Britain must be extremely (terminally maybe from what you say) different from those in this country. Or are you talking about University life in the 1950s and early 60s ?...When I was at university 40 years ago (Univeristy of New South Wales and Macquarie University) There was some time for having a few drinks and goofing off. But not much. Even back then the competition was fierce in my faculties and if you spent not much more than occasionally chilling instead of working your butt off..You were out. THese days there is zero time for anything except studying..in all it's guises, working a part time job if you can find one and getting all the work in on time. Above all that there is brutual competition with the Asian students and between them. There is no such thing as a "grant" and hasn't been for decades. We have the HEX system where you receive a loan which is refundable at the end of your degree.

Maybe you could explain what a "mickey mouse degree" is? Is that something peculiar to Britain?..Honest question. I have never studied there. I have visited Oxford, Cambridge and Bath Universties. I must say I never saw a lot of goofing off there. Only people tearing around looking vert busy and stressed.

On the subject of freedom of speech, I know what people mean here. And I agree that a university should be a place where freedom of expression and speech reign supreme. Places where regardless of the content of your speech, work and writings, you will be listened to without being "Cancelled"..Then you will be argued with, agreed with, have your words dissected or in fact ridiculed. But you will be able to speak. UNiversity is where I first read Voltaire. I reads Micromégas and Plato's Dream to get a headache and Candide for fun. I mention him because one of his most famous quotes is..."I disagree violently with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Sadly not many people are into Voltaire these days.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top