Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 05:43 AM

Re: Portacabin

I think they would call it a portable building here because that's what it is.
Now if you had asked about a prefab,there would need to be a bit of a history lesson.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 06:46 AM

No windows, no thank you.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Now if you had asked about a prefab,there would need to be a bit of a history lesson.
Ahh, the old Prefab's, some folks mourned the passing of the Prefab, then it returned, made out of Timber.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 08:18 AM

Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 08:29 AM

They used to make portacabins here, I think they still do, not sure if it’s still located where it was/is...
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Wassa portacabin?
A small portable self contained unit. Often used for a site office on a building site. They can also be bolted together to make a bigger temporary building.

They normally arrive on the back of a lorry. Sometimes they are lifted off and parked with a fork lift truck, or a crane. Some have built in jacks so they can be lifted up and then the vehicle driven out before the cabin is lowered to the ground.

They can also be stacked and have external stairs so you can play upstairs downstairs.

They normally come with power and lighting circuits with a consumer unit/fusebox, so can be hooked up to an external power supply. Some have built in aircon.

Windows, sometimes with shutters for security and of course a door are common.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Ahh, the old Prefab's, some folks mourned the passing of the Prefab, then it returned, made out of Timber.
I remember them well, the first 14 years of my life was spent living living in a prefab. in north London. That was a start for my parents in the years after WWII. Detached, large rooms, very large garden (with Andersen air raid shelter). Many happy childhood years were spent there before moving to a traditional brick built house nearby.

https://www.prefabmuseum.uk/content/...-sam-webb-riba
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
A small portable self contained unit. Often used for a site office on a building site. They can also be bolted together to make a bigger temporary building.

They normally arrive on the back of a lorry. Sometimes they are lifted off and parked with a fork lift truck, or a crane. Some have built in jacks so they can be lifted up and then the vehicle driven out before the cabin is lowered to the ground.

They can also be stacked and have external stairs so you can play upstairs downstairs.

They normally come with power and lighting circuits with a consumer unit/fusebox, so can be hooked up to an external power supply. Some have built in aircon.

Windows, sometimes with shutters for security and of course a door are common.
Not a Portaloo then?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Not a Portaloo then?
Not a portaloo although some of them had loos in them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 01:28 PM

I could live in a converted Porta Cabin, insulated and clad with larch
I don't need much space I am only little so is Chloe...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top