Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2021, 06:58 PM

Re: Patterdale mountain rescuer seriously injured in 150m fall/campers fined

Injured Patterdale mountain rescuer appeal raises £500,000

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-56097886

More than £500,000 has been raised to help a mountain rescue volunteer who suffered life-changing injuries going to the aid of campers who had broken coronavirus lockdown restrictions.

Chris Lewis, a member of the Patterdale Mountain Rescue Team in the Lake District, suffered severe spinal injuries when he fell 500ft (150m).

Mr Lewis, 60, also suffered multiple facial fractures in the fall at Red Screes, above Kirkstone Pass on 6 February.

He has received treatment in an intensive care unit after being airlifted to hospital in Preston.

The funds were raised online in less than 48 hours.

"Phenomenal probably sums up the response," said Mike Blakey, a fellow volunteer with the team. "What's really struck me is the number of people who have donated. The fact more than 20,000 have contributed is remarkable."

Mr Blakey, who has been in regular contact with Mr Lewis in hospital via FaceTime, said it may take 12 months before a clearer understanding of the long-term implications emerges.

"We won't really know what functionality Chris will have until he's been through rehab. The funds will pay for things like a wheelchair and any adaptations to property if they're needed, possibly a vehicle. I've spoken to him every couple of days. As he can't use his hands because of his injuries, he relies on an intensive care nurse to hold the phone. He's remarkably positive about moving on and doing what's required."
Blimey ….. Chris seems to have very serious injuries - "life-changing", as reported …..

I wish him well for what will be a long recovery and rehabilitation .....
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2021, 07:36 PM

Re: Patterdale mountain rescuer seriously injured in 150m fall/campers fined

Oh my word!! That is truly amazing! I hope those stupid idiots will feel ashamed for what they put that guy through.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top