Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2020, 08:45 PM

Re: A Close Shave

I used to love watching my dad with his shaving brush and smelling the soap or whatever he used. He used to soap up the soap in a particular mortar and pestle type dish. I can still smell it in my memory banks.
Fascinating and SO relaxing to watch.

Funny thing though, he had a 'handle bar' moustache and for the life of me, my memory can't 'see' how he shaved around it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2020, 10:34 PM

Sorry Dex I can't help, I have never wet shaved in my life......Seriously!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2020, 10:49 PM

I haven't shaved for 43 years, since I left the RAF. (You're not allowed beards, of course, unless you're called Harry.)

To think of the time I've saved and the number of razor blades I've not had to buy over all those years.

I just trim my beard every now and again (to keep Marge happy).
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 03:51 PM

It took me many years to work out that the most important part of a wet shave is leaving the foam/gel on long enough, until your face starts to tingle and get a bit uncomfortable. I normally whack the stuff on, have a shower (when not washing my hair, obviously), then shave after the shower. It is also important to brush any bristles out of the razor.

Once, I did try going to Exeter by bus with the stuff on my face but by the time I got back it had all dried up.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I haven't shaved for 43 years, since I left the RAF. (You're not allowed beards, of course, unless you're called Harry.)

To think of the time I've saved and the number of razor blades I've not had to buy over all those years.

Judging by today's price of razor blades you should be a £multi-millionaire by now then!

https://www.boots.com/mens/shaving-g...s-razor-blades
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 04:15 PM

Hi

I am having to stop wet shaving now.

Not worth the bleeding from the slightest nick due to the anticoagulants I am now taking.

I have an electric razor arriving today, which I will have to get usd to.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Judging by today's price of razor blades you should be a £multi-millionaire by now then!

https://www.boots.com/mens/shaving-g...s-razor-blades
I bought a Razor Pit from Amazon, which works well and means that I only have to change my blade every 6 or so months.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Although this thread is mostly aimed at those who have to shave their stubbly faces regularly, ie men and Artangel, it might be useful for others along the gender fluid spectrum.

I tend to (wet) shave after a shower. Usually squirt some shaving gel onto my hands and rub it onto my face. This then obviously foams up and I then have a simple way of seeing any areas that my razor will have missed.

However, every once in a while, instead of my hands, I apply the gel via a shaving brush (thus giving me a reason not to chuck that impulse buy away!).

Now, here's the thing...When I've lathered my face with a brush, the shave is always better, giving me a baby's bottom feel to it.

Why does this happen??
The same reason as using a bath lily for shower gel in the shower makes you cleaner and fresher than using your hands to slap it all over....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

How long is your beard JBR? Is it like Santa's?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 04:51 PM

I remember my dad used to use 7 o’clock razor blades.
He used to put a tiny piece of newspaper on any nicks to stop the blood running.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top