Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 09:31 PM

Re: Had You Ever Heard Of, Or Used The Word ‘Lockdown’ Before Covid -19?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's hard to remember about lockdown, but I've just realised I've been confusing furlough with "furlong" from horse racing!
Did you think people had been told to race about?
The "final furlong" sounds ominous! I'm glad it was furlough.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by rhosyn ->
On the Pointless tv program if two of the teams have the same score then the term lockdown is used,that's the only other time I've heard the word.
Same here & they make a song & dance about it as well.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 09:51 PM

I had heard furlough used as an American term but in Britain it was more common to say gardening leave.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Did you think people had been told to race about?
The "final furlong" sounds ominous! I'm glad it was furlough.
The grass on a racecourse must have created a crossed wire to gardening leave in my head! Or maybe it was about throwing money about like there's no tomorrow.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 10:14 PM

This crisis has offered many folks of many races paid leisure time to gel as a family unit, that is good, not sure how it will help going forward furlough
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 10:30 PM

Heard of lockdown to do with when prisoners riot and get put in lockdown (don't they?), but I had never heard the word 'furlough' at all, and had to google it.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2020, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The grass on a racecourse must have created a crossed wire to gardening leave in my head! Or maybe it was about throwing money about like there's no tomorrow.
Ah, I know exactly what you mean now!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2020, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I've heard furlough mentioned in American films. I think when referring to leave from the armed services.
That's right Mart, but not just in America.
I was going through some old documents after Mum and Dad passed away and there was a letter to my grandad from his officer in command after the first world war.
The letter thanked my grandad for his loyal service and said he would continue to be 'Furloughed' after he had been demobbed....The letter was dated 1918.... So the word has been around quite some time.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2020, 02:46 PM

I had never heard "being made redundant" or "redundancy" in the way you all use it in relation to work. Unfortunately, we just use the word and the practice of "furloughing".

It just goes to show that in shouting things back and forth over the Atlantic (rarely, "across the pond"), some things are lost in translation.

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2020, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I had never heard "being made redundant" or "redundancy" in the way you all use it in relation to work. Unfortunately, we just use the word and the practice of "furloughing".

It just goes to show that in shouting things back and forth over the Atlantic (rarely, "across the pond"), some things are lost in translation.

We share the same language, but it's different.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top