Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 08:00 AM

Re: Posers

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The Gym is walking distance and only £5 a week.

It is the posers who are the problem, they make you feel inferior.

They are so condescending, no support at all, more of a joke.

I am in my Sixties, I will never be a body builder with huge muscles.

I just want to get fit again.

They are not helping.

I find this wrong.

Maybe your gym does special sessions for older folk - if they don't, why don't you suggest it?

I go to the gym with my friend to do whatever gentle stuff we're capable of. We notice all these dedicated bodybuilders but I wouldn't say they were posing. They are just grunting & groaning & getting on with their stuff.

My disabled grandson goes to the gym & has no problem with them and a man of 90 I know goes. I often have a chat to him on the treadmill.

Just get on with your own stuff swims & ignore them.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Swim, I think you are looking at this wrong, if I may say.

Forget about anyone else for a start.
Concentrate on what you are supposed to be doing.

In all fairness, these muscle men are customers, same as you, so it is not their job to help you.
How would you feel if you tried to copy them and injured yourself?

I presume you have an instructor who is supposed to be showing you the ropes? It is him that should be helping you, not the customers.

Apart from that, you said you have only just joined, right?
The other customers don't know you from Adam.
They are not likely to flock round you and offer assistance when they don't even know if you want their help, are they.
Maybe they don't like to interfere.

Have you spoken to them? Have you asked them to explain anything? It works both ways you know.

My advice would be listen to your instructor, no one else at this stage. He should have your details and know how you should be progressing, that's what he's paid for. And don't expect miracles so soon.

But also talk to people and they will talk to you!
Hi

Very good advice Mups.

I have tried that, but to no avail.

I will continue, in spite of the knock backs.

I have also joined a Yoga Class.

So, very different.

An absolute beginner but they are so supportive.

Lovely people so different to the gym nuts.

I leave them thinking I have learnt something.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Swim, I think you are looking at this wrong, if I may say.

Forget about anyone else for a start.
Concentrate on what you are supposed to be doing.

In all fairness, these muscle men are customers, same as you, so it is not their job to help you.
How would you feel if you tried to copy them and injured yourself?

I presume you have an instructor who is supposed to be showing you the ropes? It is him that should be helping you, not the customers.

Apart from that, you said you have only just joined, right?
The other customers don't know you from Adam.
They are not likely to flock round you and offer assistance when they don't even know if you want their help, are they.
Maybe they don't like to interfere.

Have you spoken to them? Have you asked them to explain anything? It works both ways you know.

My advice would be listen to your instructor, no one else at this stage. He should have your details and know how you should be progressing, that's what he's paid for. And don't expect miracles so soon.

But also talk to people and they will talk to you!
Exactly what I was going to say
Nobody is concerned what other people are doing at the gym. It's like anything in life, there are different people doing their own thing.

Swimmy, it does seem to me that you are worried and perhaps showing lack of confidence.
Sure, some of those "musclemen" do pose sometimes but they are keeping fit for different reasons to you. Perhaps they are going for a stage competition, that is entirely up to them isn't it?
Some may be "gym nuts" but it doesn't mean they are not nice people. Have you spoken with them as I expect they could be quite supportive and offer you kind, good advice.

Just do your own thing and enjoy getting into shape and you'll carry that 40kg backpack in no time bud.
Are you joining the army?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 09:54 AM

Hi

I have joined the Gym.

I am determined to get fit again.

Baby steps really, never been heavily muscled, but been very fit.

I have to start from scratch, I am working with 20 kilos at the moment, target is 40 kilos.

I am very, very fast, a genetic anomaly.

It is not going well, too many posers with huge muscles.

I will never be one of them, I just want to be fit again.

I am now in my Sixties, I am not an idiot, never get back, no illusions at all.

I do still want to get fit.

30 K a day with a 40 Kilo backpack.

Not an unreasonable target.
Down at my Gym, they are the unemployed.

They sign on and then spend every day toning up their muscles.

Their brains could do with a bit more attention.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

Ted, have you asked them all if they are unemployed or are you simply judgmental of people?
The gym I belong to has a varied cross section of people from all walks of life: young, old, professional people, shift workers...in fact anybody who wants to keep themselves fit and healthy.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 10:16 AM

Hi

Very good advice Mups.

I have tried that, but to no avail.

I will continue, in spite of the knock backs.

I have also joined a Yoga Class.

So, very different.

An absolute beginner but they are so supportive.

Lovely people so different to the gym nuts.

I leave them thinking I have learnt something.

As you probably know, I have been doing my Yoga for about 9 years now. I used to go three times a week, but only do twice now, with practice at home in between.

A couple of things to bear in mind here, Swim -

Don't try and keep up with anyone else, especially if they have been going for longer than you.

Secondly, never push yourself to pain. It should not hurt.
If a pose hurts - stop.

P.S. Can we have a photo of you in your leotard?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Ted, have you asked them all if they are unemployed or are you simply judgmental of people?
The gym I belong to has a varied cross section of people from all walks of life: young, old, professional people, shift workers...in fact anybody who wants to keep themselves fit and healthy.
There is a difference between keeping fit, a health benefit, and building big muscles, a vanity benefit.

There's a few in my Gym who walk down the street in string vests, in mid Winter, and pose their muscles at all the street corners.

Am I judgemental, course I am.

And yes, they are unemployed!

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

26-04-2019, 12:16 PM

There is a difference between keeping fit, a health benefit, and building big muscles, a vanity benefit.

There's a few in my Gym who walk down the street in string vests, in mid Winter, and pose their muscles at all the street corners.

Am I judgemental, course I am.

And yes, they are unemployed!

You are completely wrong Ted.
There are many different methods of keeping oneself fit and those who like to build themselves up have different reasons for doing so.
From general fitness and wanting to be stronger because they do not like their bodyshape to people who find it gives them self-confidence.
It's not all about 'vanity' and it shows that you simply do not understand why people have different ways of doing things.
Each to their own. They're not bothering you at all are they? Except in your own ignorant perception.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 12:27 PM

Wow, Victor Meldrew is alive and well.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 12:32 PM

Hi

Mups it is not a competition.

I just want to get well enough to fly out and spend sometime with my son.

He is very important to me.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top