Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 08:46 PM

Re: Did you look after your parents ?

My Mum had a brain haemorrage when i was in my 20s. I think it was then i started doing a lot more for her, knowing how close she'd come to dying. Although i had my own house, for a few years i spent more time at my Mums than i did at my own house. She got better but not well enough to go back to work full time. So after i bought my Cab, i said she could be the 2nd driver and pick her own hours. I could have got another driver and been much better off renting to him. When she wanted to move house, she couldn't afford the one she picked, so i paid more than she did towards it,
The beauty of the Cabs is if you work more and more hours, you can do that sort of thing. My two Sisters left home and did nothing. I sometimes wonder should i have been such a workaholic and losing out on a social life.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 08:56 PM

When I traveled home to my parents' house two weeks ago, I found my mother to be so weak that I took her to the doctor who admitted her to the hospital for severe anemia.

While I was at the hospital, my dad called to say he was driving himself to the ER because he couldn't breathe.

After both were treated and returned home after three days, they started making plans so they can stay in their homes - and independent - as long as possible.

Last Tuesday, on the same day that her doctors announced that my daughter was cured, the call came that my dad is terminal with pulmonary fibrosis.

Increasingly, my siblings, parents, and I going to have to work together to make their next few years as full, satisfying, and comfortable as possible.

However, I don't think of this as "taking care" of them. They would consider that condescending coming from their children . We are just continuing to be a family - everyone pitching in doing what is necessary to make life as good for each other as we possibly can.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 09:58 PM

I hope I looked after them, well Mum more so.
Dad died in 1997 and Mum didn't cope very well for a long time, so I had to keep a very close eye her. Then 10 years later, in 2007 she was diagnosed with cancer - Multiple Myeloma.
I looked after her again for the next 7 years until she died just a couple of weeks before her 90th birthday.
I shall never forget seeing what that evil disease did to her.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 10:17 PM

When me and Mr Missy decided to sell up and move to NI, it meant mum would have been alone looking after a disabled husband, so we bought a house that would accommodate all of us

Step dad died 5 years ago, just 10 days before MIL. MIL was independent till she admitted she was ill, then it was too late so her last six weeks were spent in a hospital. I used to have a 120 mile a day drive to visit both in there respective hospitals

So now mum is here. She's 80 this Christmas, has had a stroke and is in remission from cancer. She is also the most cantankerous horrible woman you would ever have the misfortune to meet. However she's me mum and she's a home here for as long as possible

She doesn't need full care at the moment. Just needs company, meals etc. Luckily she's got the money from the sale of her house so that is she does need further care as she gets older, she can afford to pay for it within the home rather then having to rely on a nursing home
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
yes I do, my Dad would be lost without me, he needs me, especially now my beautiful Mum has passed away, she was 81 when she died. I did a lot for them both but I felt better about things because they both had each other. Now Dad is alone I visit him 6 days a week, the 7th day is the one single day my Sister goes, she doesn't do her share even though she doesn't work and I do, but I adore my Dad and I will do anything for him.

He often tells me "oh love, I don't know where I would be without you." I tell him the same as I told my Mum, you looked after me when I was little, now it's my turn to take care of you. I clean for my Dad although he tries his best but he is completely blind in one eye and the other is almost blind too so he can't see dirt.

I cook some meals for him but he is quite independent and I don't like to take that independence away from him,, he does like my cooking though and enjoys my shepherds pies and homemade soups. I shop for him but only for bits like bread and milk because he likes to go to Iceland shopping on a Saturday morning.

My Dad will be 85 in June and he is a right trouper and I love the bones of him and I can't even contemplating losing him, the devastation I felt when I lost my Mum and Sister both suddenly within 3 weeks of each other was a pain I never want to feel again (still do) but obviously I know the time will come so I enjoy spending as much time with my Dad as possible making memories.

My Dad should have been a politician, he is so clever and would have made a fantastic Prime Minister LOL. He is a very likeable man just as my Mother was a very likeable/lovable woman.
Your dad appears like a great guy in your videos of him LQ!
So quick and talented
I'm sure your mother was a great match for him too
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
When I traveled home to my parents' house two weeks ago, I found my mother to be so weak that I took her to the doctor who admitted her to the hospital for severe anemia.

While I was at the hospital, my dad called to say he was driving himself to the ER because he couldn't breathe.

After both were treated and returned home after three days, they started making plans so they can stay in their homes - and independent - as long as possible.

Last Tuesday, on the same day that her doctors announced that my daughter was cured, the call came that my dad is terminal with pulmonary fibrosis.

Increasingly, my siblings, parents, and I going to have to work together to make their next few years as full, satisfying, and comfortable as possible.

However, I don't think of this as "taking care" of them. They would consider that condescending coming from their children . We are just continuing to be a family - everyone pitching in doing what is necessary to make life as good for each other as we possibly can.
What a lovely way of looking at it Surfermom
I think that's what I did after my dad died in 2005

It's still a bit raw so I can't say too much without getting upset..but I hope my mum wanted for nothing and felt loved and cared for everyday by me, my family and my brothers until she passed away last year

She retained her ferociously guarded independence until her stroke too and I'm glad for that
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 10:34 PM

I took care of both my parents, as well as being the executrix of their estates. They were divorced. My father's was a big job as he owned an apartment building so I had a lot of work to do before that was over.

My mom came to live with me.......I was closest to my mom. I'd give my right arm to see her again.
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 11:12 PM

I took care of both my mum and dad...and mum passed in 1986 and dad followed in 1990... It wasn't easy as they lived about 50 Km from us but it was a family affair and my hubby and both kids helped out. One of us would drive in to check on them every day and take them to their appts.

After mum passed, dad came to live with us full time...and that was a tad easier.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Your dad appears like a great guy in your videos of him LQ!
So quick and talented
I'm sure your mother was a great match for him too
Thank you Rhian. Xx
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2018, 08:25 AM

Sadly I was unable to look after mum and dad as I lived 400 miles from them . I've always felt sad that I was unable to . Mum did have dad and adult sons living with her and she died of cancer at home . I think the men did what they could but it would have been nicer to have had me or my sister (who lived 300 miles away ) to care and help , neither of us was in a position to go and stay due to family commitments work etc , but it's always left a hole in our hearts . I did go up on the train 4 weeks before mum died for a week , it was the saddest time of my life , the train journey there and back took 11 hrs each way , I cried the whole journey home , last memory of my lovely mum was waving goodbye as she stood at the back door waving to me . ( tears falling from my eyes as I remember 20 yrs ago )

When dad got cancer I offered him to come live with me and I'd care for him but he booked himself into a home for care where he eventually died .

I don't want my kids to care for me , I couldn't live with them though I love them dearly

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top