Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2010, 05:11 PM

Re: What Has life taught you?

All the things you listed are a good guide to living a life AB, and I have to smile when I'm passing down a gem of wisdom to the grand kids, the wife butts in with 'I wish you'd practice what you preach', but I try my best. You're right, it is a privilege to grow old and I've no time for those who complain about it, I think of the hundreds I know over the years who didn't make it to my age. Death is a part of life and the sooner we accept the fact the sooner we can get on enjoying what we have left.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2010, 02:16 PM

Some things I have learned are:-

Plan for a future, but don't look too far ahead, or spend too much time looking back.

We were born to struggle, but some have a harder fight than others.

Face up to your fears and don't run away - or they will haunt you forever.

Ignorance is not bliss, it's just ignorance.

Aim to be self reliant, but appreciate that sometimes we all have to rely on each other.

If you get what you wish for you may not apppreciate it or even want it.

Never take out more than you put in - this way there is always a little in reserve (applies to many things).

You only become aware how tough you are when you have a battle of some sort to fight.

The World is not fair - why should it be ?

The World owes us nothing, but we owe the World a great deal.

We are all individuals and different, but in many ways we are all the same and on the same journey.

Work at expanding your tolerance.

Don't suffer fools too willingly.

Some infants are never able leave the nest, whilst others fly.

Serenity is a long time coming.

Roll with the punches and if you get knocked down, get back up as fast as you can.

and most importantly -

Never forget the Yin and Yang.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2010, 02:19 PM

Excellent list, Aerolor!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
In the end, you have to depend on yourself, not others.
If I had time I could do a list (Maybe I'll return this evening and do it) in the meantime I just wanted to say that the above 'lesson' is probably the one I would have at the top of my list too I learned only recently that you are on your own in this world, sure friends and family will help out sometimes but not always and not when you need it most so depend on yourself and you'll never be let down.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2010, 04:29 PM

Contentment with what you have is a good lesson, it took me a long time to learn that lesson. when I was younger I was ambitious and wanted everything that was going, and I wanted it in a hurry. Needless to say I didn't get it, but I did and I didn't know it at the time. I married a great Woman, had two smashing kids, and we never had a seriously sick day in our lives, we all lived in a nice house and always had plenty to eat, that's as near to everything as you can ask for.
That's what life has thought me, to recognise the true gifts you have and not the materialistic junk all around you.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2010, 06:26 PM

1. Expect stupidity. That way you are occasionally pleasantly surprised but rarely disappointed.
2. No-one cares what you look like. They`re too busy worrying about themselves.
2. Don`t eat the yellow snow.
L1N1)4
New Member!
Notts
L1N1)4 is female 

04-09-2010, 09:48 PM

If you get what you wish for you may not apppreciate it or even want it.
I think that the biggest thing I've learned.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2010, 10:25 PM

A lot of wisdom here. All learned the hard way.
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2010, 03:35 PM

I think a sense of humour is vital. One should never take oneself too seriously. An ability to admit to faults and failings is also vital, especially to your kids.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by qetta ->
I think a sense of humour is vital. One should never take oneself too seriously. An ability to admit to faults and failings is also vital, especially to your kids.
Good points Qetta ....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top