Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 11:18 AM

Re: Rejection.

We face rejection every single day in small ways but it's just part of life and compromise. Fancy chips?...No let's have a salad.
Lochsong
The Scrubs !!!
Lochsong is female  Lochsong has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree, but I also think this sort of person will have a certain amount of sensitivity about other things too.
I was sensitive about some things as a child, that wouldn't bother me as much now, but other issues can hurt instead.
It depends on your personality more than age perhaps.

Likwise, people who shrug everything off without a second thought can appear rather unfeeling too.

I probably haven't phrased that very well, I often don't, but I know what I mean.
Well said Mups, I feel exactly as you have phrased your post. Possibly not only unfeeling, but also uncaring.
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I think when first trying to get a girlfriend is a time when lads first really encounter this feeling. At a time when emotionally undeveloped the affect can be harsh.
I tend to agree with you, Nom, when speaking of folks at a young age. Especially, if one has grown up in a family where they were readily accepted and loved by their parents and other relatives.

For some, this rejection can be a culture shock at the time. Something they haven't experienced. but as life goes on, rejection or acceptance becomes just a common occurrence. Most of us just shrug and move on.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 01:13 PM

It can be quite a blow when you're young and you ask a girl to dance then she refuses, it hurts but as DaveA says you get over it. After a few refusals I decided the best tactic was to avoid the good looking ones, worked much better.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 01:15 PM

Isn't rejection all part of learning how to cope in life? I agree with Nom that it often starts as a teenager, but not just in love. Some are rejected at job interviews, or on exam results by universities.
At those times it is hard to accept, but for many it gives them the determination to prove just how wrong the person, who rejected them, was. I am sad for those who can't do this because they often lose self confidence, despite being very worthwhile people.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 03:55 PM

Interesting answers folks especially those that say just move on But can it really be that easy, yes if your not picked for the school team or for a dance,might hurt a young ego but all part of a learning curve.

But how about the end of a long term relationship (divorce) or splitting up
after years together. Loosing a friend because you have fell out,or being passed over for a job, especially a lady when its handed to a man. ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 04:29 PM

Even things like divorce you have to come to terms with Nom.
I don't think it does us any good to bury things in the very back of our mental filing cabinets, because it will always be there, lurking, and will affect other aspects of our life, until we accept and find peace.
I can't tell anyone HOW to deal with things, because what might work for me, perhaps wouldn't work for the next person. But we need to find the way which is best for us, it is no good ignoring things hoping they will go away.
Tough things have happened to me, and even if I was a wreck at the time, I coped as time went on. I'm still here aint I. .

Losing old friends is horrible too, whether it be because of death or because of a big fall-out, it is still horrible, but the same remedy applies. Get your head and your heart straight, so you can carry on again.

Regarding jobs, if I knew for sure that a job I wanted had been given to a man purely because of his sex, I don't think I'd be hurt - I'd be hopping mad!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 04:32 PM

It obviously depends on how you were brought up/programmed.
We may be rational and 'know' what we should do but the sensitive types, who are ruled by their emotions, even if they understand full well what is expected, can find it nigh on impossible to develope that hard shell.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
It obviously depends on how you were brought up/programmed.
We may be rational and 'know' what we should do but the sensitive types, who are ruled by their emotions, even if they understand full well what is expected, can find it nigh on impossible to develope that hard shell.
Im going to get clobbered for this but dont care, i actually believe that men are more loving and take rejection harder as they invest more of themselves into a relationship, and women always hold something back.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Im going to get clobbered for this but dont care, i actually believe that men are more loving and take rejection harder as they invest more of themselves into a relationship, and women always hold something back.
*tries not to clobber*

I feel kind of speechless ! ... erm ... dunno how to react sensibly and with grace.

nuf sed

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top