Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 10:18 AM

Re: Do we want/need another nuclear power station?

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
but we should buy them from them before we start using them.
???

What does it matter who builds a Nuke Power Station ?
It's what it produces that matters and that will be 100% ours !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 10:23 AM

I would prefer not to deal with france or china - never did like sharks.

We do need power, yes, but we are an island surrounded by water - why cannot they develope/use 'wave power' or solar power?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 10:24 AM

The whole Hinkley Point project sounds a nightmare from start to finish , badly managed, overpriced, a poor deal for the customers (us) and no guarantee the proposed design will actually work anyway.
I wouldn't build a garden shed based on that catalogue of errors.

We do however need replacement sources of energy supply preferably funded by ourselves.

I don't know why more use hasn't been made of HEP and Tidal power when we have so many estuaries.
The Swansea Bay project delayed I think due to cost would be a great prototype for tidal lagoon power....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-34420631

It would make more sense to me to fund more smaller local projects like Swansea bay rather than relying on huge prospective white elephants like Hinkley.

I know of places including one in Derbyshire where dams were used to supply water to power the textile mills. The mills are long gone the dams remain. I always thought they would have made very good small local HEP plants.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
???

What does it matter who builds a Nuke Power Station ?
It's what it produces that matters and that will be 100% ours !
Because it's dangerous letting others own our power sources. We should own them ourselves.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 10:29 AM

Hi

The problem with Hinkley Point is the price we pay for the electricity.

It is 3 times the current price, which is not only bad for consumers, it is terrible for industry.

German industry gets electricity for free at certain times.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Its all very well building new nuclear power stations but no-one seems to have had any thought to what to do with the 'waste'??? Sellafield is rapidly filling up with nuclear waste and can't take much more. So where else will the waste be stored??? There was huge debate about this during John Major's premiership when they were looking to store it in vast pits underground and both the geologists and the local residents protested against it because the ground was unstable.
Fear not these things are being looked at,our youngest is involved in this at Loughborough.

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/news-events/n...stinctive.html
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 04:31 PM

Successive governments have failed to address the question of our future needs power wise. We need at least temporary Nuclear power, but research must be put into other forms of power generation.

Wave Power is a known quantity unlike wind. Photo voltaic cells, and heat exchangers can provide also. Addressing wasting electricity and improving equipment will all contribute to a way forward, Hinkly was supposed to be active next year but continuing problems with EDF have proved to be time wasting.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 05:05 PM

The real problem is that power generation is a multi billion pounds industry, and any futuristic innovative technology must first overcome these vested interests....which is a practical impossibility ... I know this from first hand experience.
I have a brilliant idea for solar energy power generation but I cannot interest any large generation company in even investing in a proof of concept exercise.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 06:20 PM

Do we need nuclear power? Yes. Should we have invested in it the 80s Yes. Will I live long enough to see one built here and delivering power at a sensible price? More than likely NO. Who remembers being at primary school and learning that when we grew up electricity would be generated from nuclear power and would cost less than an ice cream.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 08:55 PM

Sources of `natural`gas won't last forever so do you think we should go back to producing `town gas` extracted from coal to fuel our power stations? The coke by-product could also be in power stations or sold as a smokeless fuel for homes for fires or solid fuel boilers.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top