Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2016, 10:57 PM

Re: The UK Flag

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Actually it's the Union Flag.

Unless it's placed on a jackstaff on a ship, then it's a Union Jack or Jack Flag
It's good to see somebody with knowledge of our national flag and also the difference between the Union Flag and the Union Jack (Jack Flag). So many people call the Union Flag the wrong name,, and it is so irritating. Thank you for making the correction on here.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2016, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Old Supporter ->
I see in the Express this morning that the EU are demanding that the European Union Stars should be incorporated into the Union Jack.
Whether you like the Union Jack or not, these faceless people with little real work to do, should be told where to go.

Arthur
It's already been done.

Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2016, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Actually it's the Union Flag.

Unless it's placed on a jackstaff on a ship, then it's a Union Jack or Jack Flag
That is not actually correct, it is a bit of an urban myth, read this: http://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/brit...he-union-flag/
For those who do not like following links this is the gyst of the article.
[QUOTE]It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that “the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag”.

Cdr Bruce Nicolls OBE RN (Retd)/[QUOTE]
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2016, 11:55 AM

What does he know?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2016, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
What does he know?
He always had plenty to eat.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2016, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
...I've got one on my flagpole even as we speak but it will be changed for a an English red cross on St Georges day 23rd April.
Snap, I have one as well.

Sadly mine is flying at half mast today
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2016, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Snap, I have one as well.

Sadly mine is flying at half mast today

Why is that Tpin?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2016, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It's already been done.

I have often wondered about those flags.

They both feature the Southern Cross (constellation), but the Australian version includes a couple of extra stars, presumably less bright and obvious in the sky.

Could this suggest that the Australians have superior telescopes compared to those of New Zealand?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2016, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

I have often wondered about those flags.

They both feature the Southern Cross (constellation), but the Australian version includes a couple of extra stars, presumably less bright and obvious in the sky.

Could this suggest that the Australians have superior telescopes compared to those of New Zealand?

The star below the Union Jack is the Federation Star where each point represents a state and the territories (originally it had one less point as the territories were not represented)

And you might be right about Australia having better telescopes than New Zealand. Because one of the first major buildings in the new colony was the Sydney Observatory - who's view is now obscured by the Harbour Bridge

The time ball on top of the building is still dropped every day at exactly 1pm as it has since the building was built.

Don't forget Australia was first discovered by Captain Cook when he was in the Pacific to observe the transit of Venus which was to calculate the size of the Earth or the distance from the sun or something like that (Google it).

BTW New Zealand recently had a referendum about the flag - they decided to keep it (Cost something like $23mill to change nothing)
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2016, 12:41 AM

Thanks Bruce. That's very interesting, but what about the sixth star: the odd one, the one with only five points?

Yes, I'd heard about the proposed NZ flag which, if I remember, was to have featured a fern like the one their national rugby team - the All Blacks* - wear.

(*Hope Kaafaa doesn't see this or s/he'll be accusing me of racism!)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top