Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2010, 02:33 AM

Re: Ponder this...............

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
Pardon my ignorance, but is cracking the corn a rural thing like popping your weasel or whatever?, I'm just a townie I haven't a clue about these things, but I do remember the song. Did Jimmy Rogers sing it?,
This will tell you more than you probably want to know about Pop! Goes the Weasel!

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...he-weasel-mean
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2010, 09:42 AM

I have always known the song to refer to drink and pawn/poverty.

Pop-to pawn, weasel-a corruption of `whistle`. Whistle and Flute=suit in rhyming slang.

And the monkey is the addiction to booze=trying to get the monkey of one`s back
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2010, 11:15 AM

Thank you for that Dandysmom, so it's a townie thing after all, pawning one's coat (God be with the days) or tailors spinning, I can do a bit of spinning myself after a few pints.
'
Jimmy crack corn and I don't care The masters gone away'.
Was that a Negro slave song?.
I think it was sung by Burl Ives not Jimmy Rogers or Roy Rogers.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2010, 11:25 AM

Was that a Negro slave song?.

Lordy me -yes it was. We nigger slaves had it rough you know.

Families in the UK built empires on the slave trade,some Americans got rich the same way-and in Africa they are still killing each other.

When will we ever learn?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2010, 04:40 PM

They all probably sang it, Jemflux; I know Burl Ives did as I have it on a CD.

May I name-drop? I ate in the same restaurant as Burl Ives once! We were on vacation and having dinner at a seaside restaurant; a yacht pulled up and moored and here came Mr, Ives cum entourage to dine! My one and only brush with celebrity...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
They all probably sang it, Jemflux; I know Burl Ives did as I have it on a CD.

May I name-drop? I ate in the same restaurant as Burl Ives once! We were on vacation and having dinner at a seaside restaurant; a yacht pulled up and moored and here came Mr, Ives cum entourage to dine! My one and only brush with celebrity...
My Mother always had the radio on when I was a lad and I loved his funny songs, Barney the bashful bullfrog, ugly bugs ball etc.
I thought he was magnificent as 'Big Daddy' in Cat on a hot tin roof. Your lucky, I never seen a celebrity off stage or screen.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2010, 08:32 PM

Ooohh what a blast from the past - Burl Ives - I have an LP of his somewhere around. I loved his mellow, deep voice - a lovely big, gentle, cuddly man - the children loved him. Anyone remember "I know an old man who swallowed a fly".
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

18-06-2010, 08:33 PM

I did pass Bill Cosby on the street once on my way to lunch ... did a double-take, but it was indeed him. He was in town for something. Don't think that really counts, though.

You'd think that living in Washington you'd see celebrities, but you don't ... at lest not us common folks!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

18-06-2010, 08:35 PM

I love Burl Ives music, but "big" is putting it mildly .... FAT! But it's not PC to say that, I suspect.....
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2010, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Ooohh what a blast from the past - Burl Ives - I have an LP of his somewhere around. I loved his mellow, deep voice - a lovely big, gentle, cuddly man - the children loved him. Anyone remember "I know an old man who swallowed a fly".
Remember that one Aerolor-I know an old man who swallowed a fly, I don't know why he swallowed a fly, perhaps he'll die! Lot more to it than that, but I'll have to dig deep into my memory box for the rest of it!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top