Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2015, 01:05 PM

Re: Cynicism

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Cynicism is like sarcasm...ugly
A bit of satire is fun. What is Staysure btw, a type of deodorant or a contraceptive?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2015, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
A bit of satire is fun. What is Staysure btw, a type of deodorant or a contraceptive?
Hahaha!! That's what I thought when I wrote it! Wondered if anyone would know what it was! The poster was looking for an over 50s insurance company, that's what Staysure is!

I agree that a bit of satire is fun, also there is fun to be had in a bit of sarcasm and a bit of irony and a bit of cynicism and all...but too much is very negative and negativity can become very ugly.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2015, 01:23 PM

Oh good, I was confused

https://youtu.be/507W2cXqgU0
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2015, 01:26 PM

OMG!!! I wonder if the insurance firm have any idea!!!
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2015, 04:36 PM

Someone much smarter than I asked
" If my cynicism is justified, am I still a cynic ?"

Ruthio reckons cynicism is 'ugly'.
I relate cynicism to skepticism and reckon that in politics, religion or business, both can prove healthy.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

26-08-2015, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Someone much smarter than I asked
" If my cynicism is justified, am I still a cynic ?"

Ruthio reckons cynicism is 'ugly'.
I relate cynicism to skepticism and reckon that in politics, religion or business, both can prove healthy.
Pumice I did modify that in my post above (post 12).

What I was trying to say was that the negative attitude perpetually put out by cynics can wear thin and appears ugly after a while.

I hope that makes more sense.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2015, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Not only healthy, but an absolute necessity!
In today's world the only sensible approach is that of Benjamin Franklin:

"Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see!"
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

26-08-2015, 05:30 PM

Now people, do we all know the difference between cynical and sceptical?

A person who is cynical generally has a very bad outlook on life, and has very little faith in others.

A person who is skeptical is more likely to put in the appropriate research before believing what they are told.

Someone who is cynical usually assumes people are out to screw them.
Someone who is skeptical understands there are bad people out there, and that is why we must be questioning and careful and deliberate in our decisions.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top