Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 08:49 AM

Re: Pig or Lamb

Vegetarian since 1989 thats my answer to any unexpected questions in the supermarket.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 10:13 AM

I can't eat Offal myself but hubby loves Lambs Liver, with bacon and onions, braised in an onion gravy and served with creamy Leek Mash and garden peas

Actually, there is a recipe for Lambs Liver that I have been searching for , for years. It was from one of the earlier editions of the Dairy Book of Cooking but I haven't been able to find it anywhere since the book was accidently thrown out. I used to love making it as it was one of hubbys favourite dishes. I know it was called something like "Lambs Liver and Tomato Casserole" and worcester sauce, tinned tomatoes etc were part of the recipe. I have tried to make it since but there still seems to be one or two ingredients missing and the taste is just not the same as when I used to make it. Sigh !
Oh well, guess I will keep adding ingredients and keep trying until hopefully I can get that Wallah ! moment.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 10:23 AM

try this one
http://seasonalontariofood.blogspot....ibly-with.html
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 10:50 AM

We always have Lambs Liver, although my Husband likes Calf's Liver, but that's too expensive, Pigs Liver is harder in texture and to strong in taste for me.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 11:50 AM

I've looked in my old Dairy book, Shropshiregirl, and my mil's which is older and better, but your recipe isn't there

I did find this which looks nice
https://100cookbooks.wordpress.com/2...amily-cooking/

Was there tomato puree in your old recipe?
That makes a huge difference to the flavour.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 12:00 PM

Bless you Malcolm, it's not that one although it looks very nice. No, the one I used to do was tinned tomatoes not fresh. Thank you so much anyway.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

14-08-2015, 12:14 PM

Ruthio, that was kind of you. Although again another nice recipe it is not the one I always followed. It definitely had tinned tomatoes and worcester sauce because they were the predominant flavours I remember all too well. I always had tinned plum tomatoes at the time and remember that it was in one of the earlier editions of the Dairy Book. My goodness it must be well over twenty five/thirty years ago. I did contact the Dairy book publishers but they weren't very interested in searching for it for me.
i must have seen every single Lambs Liver casserole recipe on the web !! lol, never mind, one day maybe. Thank you both for being so kind and showing those links though. It is difficult because I don't eat Offal so cannot taste as I go along, Hubby tells me it is almost always like the old recipe ......but not quite it ............ something is missing......probably some herb that makes all the difference.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 01:14 PM

Would you recognise the book if you saw it?
There are lots on eBay...
Sonia Allison pops up lots of times, 1968, 1978...
If you go on eBay and search Dairy Book of Home Cookery Sonia Allison, you never know!!
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 01:39 PM

I have used a recipe in the past for something else which called for both tinned tomatoes and tomato puree, might you have remembered about the tinned toms and forgotten about the puree?
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Bless you Malcolm, it's not that one although it looks very nice. No, the one I used to do was tinned tomatoes not fresh. Thank you so much anyway.
I never ever stick to recipes SG !
I just add, take away or substitute as it suits me !

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top