Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Gaz55
UK
Gaz55 is male  Gaz55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 01:15 PM

Re: Old fashioned values or sexism?

It does seem that with modern day thinking in Society,that "equality" is tending to make chivalry and the way we Men of the,dare I say,baby boomer generation,and above,seem very out dated,and, gentlemanly acts will,eventually just fade away.

(TessA,have you ever thought of starting a Steam punk thread on here)?
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 01:31 PM

Equality to me doesn't mean that I don't want a man to be courteous, polite and gentlemanly towards me, those qualities are certainly appreciated.

Sadly, as others have said, some values seem to be lacking in the younger generations, which is a shame as I think it makes a woman feel appreciated and rather special. You carry on Gazz55, don't let the minority put you off!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 01:54 PM

Gazz, I have but there's not many eccentric weirdos like me on here, only Steampunk in the village!
I have met lots of young people around 16 to early 20's having a student of my own. Politeness amongst them seems to be on its way back!
I was waiting for a bus at the park and ride in Bath to go to the hospital, there were several secondary school kids at the front of the queue and s few older folk at the back. When the bus came the kids stood aside for us to board first.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Don't ever change Gaz55 !

Courtesy and good manners should be welcomed and not regarded as either old fashioned or sexist.
Spot on.

Originally Posted by Gaz55 ->
Nice to know I'm not that much of a dinosaur yet!

I have actually had some young "Ladies", call me a sexist ******, for holding a door open for them!

Different generations,different perspectives on things.
I am sorry you have had that said to you,poor manners IMO

Originally Posted by TessA ->
This is why I like the Steampunk community! Old fashioned courtesy and manners! Any bad behaviour is frowned upon generally.
Coo I like the sound of that very much.

Gaz55
UK
Gaz55 is male  Gaz55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 05:06 PM

Well, that certainly was a breath of fresh air, knowing that I'm not out on a limb when it comes to good old fashioned manners! Nice to know that a Man can still act the Gentleman, and that Women still find it OK for Men to do so!

Thanks everyone!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 05:10 PM

Apricot, there will probably be a Steampunk group near you, look on fb. Lots of over fifties there!
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 05:42 PM

Gotta admit, I still do it.
At 70, I give up my seat on public transport to a woman (who is probably fitter than I am).
I open doors, walk on the road-side of the footpath, let the lady go through the checkout first etc etc .

BUT ... is it really fair - when they rightly demand "equality" whenever it suits them ?
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 05:52 PM

I like to think that what people call old fashioned values are also just common courtesy and consideration for others ,I dont find anything old fashioned in that and think its a pity everyone cant behave in this way,the world would run smoother if they did.
Its just a me me me world out there now!! Ofc there will always still be a few that practice manners and courtesy and consideration but I do believe its a dying art sadly.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gaz55 ->
Nice to know I'm not that much of a dinosaur yet!

I have actually had some young "Ladies", call me a sexist ******, for holding a door open for them!

Different generations,different perspectives on things.
They can't help being stupid, ignorant and so thick they don't know the definition of sexism.
Uff
Scotland
Uff is female  Uff has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 06:06 PM

I do Gaz and feel honoured when a man holds a door open for me or holding my chair etc. I've always highly rated good manners and appreciate courtesy when it's shown.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top