Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2015, 02:13 AM

Re: Being a pensioner?

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Can't speak on this as retirement is someway off, I fear retirement will involve counting.
The only thing wrong with retirement is that you don't get any days off nor can you take any more sickies.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2015, 08:51 AM

As a lecturer I wasn't bothered too much by bosses telling me what to do. My stress came from trying to teach maths to students who were determined not to learn. I was glad to retire at 60 and the principal was kind enough to give me 5 years enhancement on my pension, that must add up to quite a bit over the 21 years I've been retired.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2015, 08:57 AM

We "retired" early in our mid 50s and have never been so busy, but we're busy doing what we want to do, when we want to do it.

We too miss the salary, the private medical cover and the company.

Later this year I should get my state pension (if they don't break more promises and change the age to 100) and then I will be a genuine pensioner.

Gazes into crystal ball.... I can see holidays .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2015, 09:08 AM

People are great jokers, I remember a retirement presentation at a large company I worked for early 80s, the guy "Thomas" had a reputation for being idle and playing the "Sick Scheme" and was hardly ever in the workplace. He was presented with the archetypal Carriage Clock, to which the first heckle was "I hope the Clock keeps better time than you Tommy", next it was pointed out that Thomas had spent 30+ years with the company, to which someone shouted, "yeah Thirty Years no sweat".
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2015, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Counting what - the hours, the days, the pennies, the jobs to do, or all of that?
All of that, plus my blessings.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

24-01-2015, 09:39 AM

I think being retired, and a pensioner, is a big thing, if the individual has been directly employed, and trapped in an inflicted regime, the person would be very conscious of the transition. If an individual has been lucky enough to set their own work agenda for a period of time, the clear defining line no longer exists, but so does the sense of the passage of time.Imo
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2015, 09:52 AM

Pension, retirement, leisure, pub lunches, I'm afraid I'm not destined to be familiar with these words for a few years yet But good luck to those who are
HTB
Lanc's
HTB is male  HTB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2015, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Linden Tree ->
Pension, retirement, leisure, pub lunches, I'm afraid I'm not destined to be familiar with these words for a few years yet But good luck to those who are
I totally agree Linda.................I just can't wait to retire..........I call going for a pub lunch "Just doing a Cookie".........and if I ever found the time to do the garden, that would most definitely either doing "the plantman"........or maybe even being a bit "jazzi".............hats off too you all, what I fear is that I have worked hard all my life, and I will soon become bored........H
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2015, 10:29 AM

I didn't go to work one day and retire the next, with a clear cut off date. I was waiting for work from the NHS so began to fill my days with going out, gardening, visiting friends and family, and waiting for the call that would catapult me back into the workplace and earn me a small crust.

So when I discovered Payroll had closed my account after more than 6 months of no work I took the bull by the horns and officially resigned/retired, and carried on doing what I had been doing. Having the time of my life.

HTB...I don't have time to be bored! It's true that volunteering has taken my time but it also gets you out of the home, gives you a purpose, keeps the mind active, and in some cases can keep the body active.

I'm hardly ever bored and sometimes wish for a whole week to myself.

I have to admit...because I am in the transition stage of being retired but not yet receiving State Pension (first payment 6 April) I still can't believe my luck that I no longer have to work. So why do I still look at the jobs each week when my local paper comes out?!!! I only face another 2 months and 2 weeks of using my savings yet I can't stop that habit of job hunting.
jodie
UK
jodie is female  jodie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2015, 12:43 PM

Love it! but have to make the most of it on my own - the ol' man won't get out of his chair to go anywhere or do anything and he's not even that old! just passed 60.

U3A round here is huge , I think there's over 100 groups, kindof bedazzzled as to which to get into,I just joined a theatre-going group with 90 members, have to admire the girl that's running that thing..

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top