Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 02:09 AM

Re: Inventions

Originally Posted by Diamond Lady ->
I've never noticed my knobs getting hot Mups !
I can't speak!
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What is "Hot Mups"?.
I'm still pondering over Mups 'hob knobs' !!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 10:55 AM

The knobs on my cooker are on the front above the grill, but they don't get hot as the grill has a vent at the back of the hob. The grill itself is great as it is mounted on runners, like a filing cabinet drawer, and runs in & out very smoothly. The fixed handle on it dosen't get too hot either.

The only real design flaw is that the handle on the flap in front of the grill, stops the oven door from opening if the grill is open.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
There's ride-on mowers, leaf blowers for those who don't want to push a broom, timer settings on cookers and washing machines, even cars that drive themselves - so when will someone invent an iron that pushes itself? A buzzer could sound when the job's done. :-

Talking of inventions, my new cooker has the knobs at the front now. My old one used to have them on the high back part. Because someone in their wisdom, decided to put them inches from the hot oven and grill, some manufacturers have had problems with the control knobs getting hot or even burning. Those models must have been invented by someone who has never used a cooker in their life!
One salesman showed me a 'lip' thingy that you have to clip on and off to avoid the knobs burning when the grill is being used. What a cheap and tacky way to overcome a design fault. My cooker has a fan which blows out cold air from a vent at the front (nearly blows me off me chair if I'm sitting nearby), and this is another idea to help prevent the knobs from overheating.
Why or why don't they just make heat resistant knobs or stick the bloomin' things somewhere where they don't get hot in the first place.
(There you go Steve, it's not only you who has a moan).
We've got a cooker with an oven knob that's not been insulated properly Mups and, when you try to turn the cooker down or off, it twirls straight past the stop and you have to prize it off and use pliers to turn off the bl**dy gas so I do have some idea Mups!!

What I do is set the oven to whatever temperature we want then remove the knob.

It only goes back on to adjust / turn off.

We got in touch with the manufacturer about this when it first happened and they sent us a new knob, which we had to pay for!
Not only was it the wrong colour but it was even worse than the original as it did the same thing the very first time we used it!

I've looked at other cooker knobs in Currys and other places - much to the annoyance of salesmen - and I've found that most of them no longer have that metal insert to protect & restrict the plastic from melting.

This is a classic case of cost-cutting to maximise profit but ignoring common sense!

Sooner or later mankind will do this with catastrophic results all because some greedy sod wanted to screw that last few pence of profits out of us before the Earth went BANG!! stevmk2
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 06:10 PM

The kitchen and the cooker has nothing to do with me, besides she wouldn't let me near her knobs even if I wanted to.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
The kitchen and the cooker has nothing to do with me, besides she wouldn't let me near her knobs even if I wanted to.
Quite right too !
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Quite right too !
Exactly Patsy, one should not poke ones nose in where it's not wanted.
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 06:26 PM

...one should not poke ones nose in where it's not wanted.
Some people might like that!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2014, 12:00 AM

She's obviously been properly brought up Jem.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top