Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2014, 09:57 PM

Re: Why are both your nostrils not the exact same size?

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I used to be fixated about the Symmetry, now I am more concerned about the Cemetery.
@ Paul
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2014, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Jem both sides of your face are different and not symmetrical (test this out by holding a mirror in the center of your face while looking in another) so it is not surprising both nostrils are different too..

Quite right Meg.
When my son was born he had a small hare lip. Fortunately his palette was fine internally, it was just external. I remember being upset as I was very young and had never seen this problem before. A doctor told me the foetus is formed in two halves which join together at some point, and the lips are the last part to join up and for some reason it doesn't join properly. Is this true I wonder? It could explain why our feet are slightly different sizes, why some people favour left or right hands, why one hand or leg is often stronger than the other side, and why nostrils aren't a perfect match.
Oh, BTW, my son was operated on at 8 months old and was fine afterwards.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2014, 10:20 PM

My 'ooter was absolutely perfect until the age of nineteen when I was attacked in the street by five blokes. It was never the same after that. But you should have seen the other five!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2014, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
A silly question I know, but no harm in asking.
Why are your nostrils never exactly the same size? I have a theory it's because when we were babies we slept more on one side of our head than on the other, closing one nostril more than the other, my left nostril is slightly smaller than my right, I checked the wife's nose and her right is smaller than her left. This never crossed my mind before until I noticed it when shaving today, Now I can't help myself gawking at the peoples noses when watching TV and when you get a good close up you can see they are not the same either. Can't wait to get to the pub tonight to do a bit of nostril spotting, Nostrildamus investigates.
Could it be that some people pick one nostril more than the other, Jem?
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 09:19 AM

Had to look
Yes my right nostril is only slightly smaller but I refuse to get
the tape measure out to prove it.
Gabi mine are definitely different now having had the op the
other month.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 09:57 AM

Im not going to look im daft enough as it is. Jem im getting a bit worried about you, you need a hobby or more trips to your local
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 11:13 AM

Thank you all for your very interesting replies folks. Surprising the things you see in the mirror as you get older. So we are all made in two halves before we come together, just like an easter egg and sometimes the two parts don’t match properly, I’ll buy that. It could be quite a problem getting the right kind of seating if the two cheeks of your ass didn’t dock correctly at the first attempt. sorry don't know what's going through my mind these days.
I’m a bit worried myself Nom, I remember my old dad saying that as you get older all sorts of things happen to your body, little bits of thin skin on stilts start to sprout out here and there, hair grows where you’d never suspect it to grow, and bits of you start to fall off, otherwise old age is great.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Well I've never noticed and I should have really cos I'm at that age where there are stray hairs appearing in weird places - like my nostrils- they have to be got rid of by plucking so will look next time!!
Plucking??! OWWWWWW! Momeeee! Try manicure scissors instead.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 05:49 PM

Your feet are not identical nor are your legs, arms or hands. You were not pressed out of a mould but constructed by your genes to survive. Identical nostril size is obviously not a survival feature.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top