Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2014, 01:46 PM

Re: Double meanings

Geoff, spam fritters, yes I remember them from my student days. They seemed to always be on the menu in the Students' Union. In later years, I ate in the 'Great Hall' which served rather better food.

I don't think I've eaten them since those days, some 40 odd years ago.
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2014, 06:30 PM

English can get very confusing when you go to live in another English speaking country!

The first time I drove to Jo'burg I lost my way and had to stop and ask a policeman for directions. He told me to turn left at the next robot. Robot? He had me really worried because the only robot I could think of were the Daleks in DR Who! Little did I know that in South Africa a robot is a traffic light!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2014, 07:18 PM

Did you go "just now" "now" or "now now"?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2014, 10:25 PM

Ey? Who is that for Twiz?
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 12:06 AM

When I was a kid, 'these' were thongs!

http://www.google.ca/images?q=flip+f...&ved=0CCAQsAQ#
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->

What do you mean "when you were a kid"? Nothing has changed, they still are thongs. These are mine:

ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Ey? Who is that for Twiz?
I think it was meant for me Mups!

Twiz .... I'd forgotten ... "just now" .."now" and "now now" until you mentioned it. It took me ages to understand the difference between the three.

If I remember rightly if someone says .....

"I'll do it just now" it means they'll get round to doing it sometime in the unspecified future ... or maybe not at all!

"I'll do it now" means they'll get round to doing it within a reasonable time .. say a couple of days, or a week.

"I'll do it now now" means they realise the matter is urgent and they'll get round to doing it within the next few hours or by the end of the day.

Hope that's right!
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 09:42 PM

I was talking to a teenager today outside the pub (we were both out for a smoke) and she mentioned her new phone being "sick". When I asked what was wrong with it she advised me that it meant "good" or "cool".

The more you know...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by oldbugger ->
I was talking to a teenager today outside the pub (we were both out for a smoke) and she mentioned her new phone being "sick". When I asked what was wrong with it she advised me that it meant "good" or "cool".

The more you know...

That's the daftest one yet oldbugger and they wonder why we don't understand them sometimes. . . .
Even the "cool" bit you mentioned used to mean a bit chilly as well
Oh dear, I shall never be able to keep up!
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->

we still call then flip flops

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top