Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2014, 12:52 AM

Re: Are you happy with your locality

Originally Posted by billclay ->
Only yesterday it was announced the the best place to live in this country was Skipton in North Yorkshire, about 30 mins.drive from where i live. the best place takes in to account friendliness, crime, schools, health sevices, ect. are you happy with your area.
I have fond memories of Skipton, we used to go there to visit a Mr Leatt the terrier man who had the Mill

I am very happy with my locality. I live in a tiny hamlet between the river Severn and the Malvern Hills and it is very pretty here .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2014, 07:41 AM

We love where we live on the outskirts of town and five minutes from the forest and countryside. Good neighbours, little crime and little traffic make this our personal paradise which we wouldn't swap for anywhere else.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2014, 08:52 AM

This is a lovely place to live - friendly, virtually crime free, quiet (except for tractors) etc... But, over the years, the church, garage, shop, pub, school etc have all closed. The nearest shop, doctor or garage is about 3 miles away. Large shops are 14 miles away - but I wouldn't want to move to anywhere large.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2014, 07:49 PM

I live in the heart of the city - 10 mins walk (at my speed) to one of the best pie shops in the country, 15 mins walk from the Co-op, Aldi and Iceland stores, 15 - 20 mins walk to q superb Indian Restaurant that serves enormous Dosa's 1 Ft long!!! There are at least half dozen take-away restaurants (all of which deliver to your door) less than 1 mile from me, there is a pub that serves lovely meals at the end of my street and just round the corner, I have the choice of three bus routes and buses pass at less than 10 minute intervals, the bus stop is no more than 100 yards from my front door, and as I'm over 60 I have a 'free' bus pass which means I can travel anywhere in the Brighton-Hove connerbation for free after 09.00am.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2014, 10:19 PM

Sounds perfect for you Geoff

We too like where we live and the home we live in.
It is quiet, mostly retired people
We used to have a sweet shop/post office, butchers, greengrocers and off licence in a little parade within walking distance ... they are now a hairdressers and mini market.

If we had to move, it would be nearer the sea.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2014, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Sounds perfect for you Geoff

We too like where we live and the home we live in.
It is quiet, mostly retired people
We used to have a sweet shop/post office, butchers, greengrocers and off licence in a little parade within walking distance ... they are now a hairdressers and mini market.

If we had to move, it would be nearer the sea.

I would be cautious about that Jan darlin' - many people last and this year who live near either the sea or rivers now regret doing so due to being floooded out. some of those who used to live high above the sea on cliffs, now regret doing so too as the weather has eroded the cliffs and made the houses too dangerous to live in as they totter on the edge of the cliff.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2014, 08:48 AM

While I have everything on my doorstep; overground, buses, large supermarkets just a mile away, libraries within walking and bus distance, parks, Epping Forest a couple of miles, easy access to central London and the City, and maybe an hour or so drive from the sea, and my allotment just two minutes down the end of my road, I would move from here in a heartbeat.

Too crowded, concrete jungly and people. And millyons of kids!!

I want somewhere with fewer bodies and more green open spaces. Please!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

20-03-2014, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
While I have everything on my doorstep; overground, buses, large supermarkets just a mile away, libraries within walking and bus distance, parks, Epping Forest a couple of miles, easy access to central London and the City, and maybe an hour or so drive from the sea, and my allotment just two minutes down the end of my road, I would move from here in a heartbeat.

Too crowded, concrete jungly and people. And millyons of kids!!

I want somewhere with fewer bodies and more green open spaces. Please!

I keep telling you Jan darlin' - come down this way - a twenty minute bus ride away and you're in the heart of the South Downs National Park.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2014, 01:04 PM

I don't think I could live in the Country. I have always been a townie.
I used to love going to Skipton from Leeds and we used to go camping
in the area around Skipton. Had some lovely pubs after a long walk or
climb. No I don't go to pubs really. Most places you have mentioned
don't have the supermarkets I am used to. I have to drag my food in a trolley if my son doesn't give me a lift. I know there are taxis but that
can put a lot of money on your bill.
Wouldn't mind having a weekend cottage in the Country but give me the
buzz of a City.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2014, 01:23 PM

Geoff, when I lived on the south coast (Horndean, Hants - home of Gales ales), I used to take the motorhome to Brighton and stay at the caravan club site (Sheepcote valley). Nice walk to the sea, marina etc.. and a bus from Whitehawk to the centre.

However, Brighton struck me as being very expensive - perhaps it depends on the area.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top