Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
dogmad
Dorset, UK
dogmad is male 

10-08-2013, 07:40 AM

Re: Turned down YET again

I, too, had difficulty finding a job (then in my 50s, a partially disabled graduate). As my GP put it "the body's buggered, but the brain still works" !), so I became self employed. Hard work - yes - but rewarding
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2013, 09:22 AM

So sorry to hear about your let down on the job scene again. I really do
feel sorry for you as when I joined this site in August last year you were
saying the same thing so it is a b ummer for you.
Just wondered if you have had a update in your CV. They have to be upfront with what you can do on the front page seemingly and have to
have a modern look. Do you know any youngsters who are also looking
for a job who might show you how to do the CV's nowdays. I got someone
younger to do mine a few years ago and it really helped me get a p/t job at 61 just over Christmas time. Get someone to give you a fake interview and see if they think you can say or do something different during it. All things considered you might be attempting to interview without the modern way of looking at it. I do hope something comes along soon for you. Fingers crossed xx
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2013, 10:20 AM

Ok to reply to a couple of the posts .. Firstly yes i do show them who I am at a interview....the fed back i get is not my interview techniques ...i am who I am and you cant necessarily teach a old dog new tricks. especially when interviewers employ psych tests and body language ..and they DO do that..I try to be honest and only tell them what they want to hear and not volunteer unwanted information, unfortunately they read between the lines...and when you see a interviewer start writing before they have even ASKED a question you know they are commenting on your appearance ie age attire nationality physical appearance , so you are the back foot straight away, I had one interview with another candidate ..he was 30 years old and a window cleaner with NO engineering background....I am 57 years old with 30 years experience ...out of all the questions asked nearly everyone was directed towards the younger of us ...be very experienced in customer interaction i can also read body language and it was obvious they had picked the younger of us in the first few minutes ..in fact i received the 'sorry' letter within 48 hours..
with regards to my CV, Last week I went to a course on CV's to update mine , IN fact mine is already very up to date and was designed professionally by a agency and so far has worked well, although it does require a few tweaks....all i can do is keep doing what i have been doing...i will have to strike it lucky one day ....in fact my daughter has got me a lead at our local hospital and is getting me a application form , and a old colleague has given my CV to HIS boss ...so the search goes on .. One day i will find the proverbial needle

PS now getting ready to go to a wedding of someone very special to me so enjoy the rest of your Saturday peeps
Daisydee
New Member!
Essex, UK
Daisydee is female 

12-08-2013, 03:49 PM

If that's the case, they are the looser and you are better off without that job You'll see, a better opportunity will come along, just put it down to interview experience.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2013, 08:15 PM

I'm sorry. My Hubby was out of work nearly 2 years and we had to believe was because of his age.. Of course they can't ask you how old you are... but they CAN ask you when you graduated from HighSchool... It's quite obvious that someone who graduated in 1970 is NOT 30 years old.. So he hardly got any interviews. He was able to break back into his field by doing agency work. Finally they say he would handle the job and now he is doing fine. Good luck to you... I know how maddening this is.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2013, 12:42 AM

When you walk into a interview and one of the interviewers starts writing even before you've sat down, you know they have clocked your age...I didn't twig it until afterwards.....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top