Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2013, 11:54 AM

Re: Why does faith deserve respect?

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I am an atheist and what the man says is true, but he should respect believers more, not because of their belief but because they are (in the main) sincere human beings.
I think you can respect believers as sincere human beings, but religions/politics/philosophies etc are just ideas and should be subject to as much criticism, questioning, approval or dismissal as any other kind of idea. After all, I've no doubt that the Spanish Inquisition, or murderous Christian crusaders, Zionist members of the terrorist Stern Gang, or current day Islamic Jihadists were very sincere human beings, but that in itself does not merit respect (any more than murderous atheists like Stalin or Pol Pot do).
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2013, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I agree Alan, in the main I think he is right, althoujgh he could be a little less scathing - but then perhaps that's part of his entertainment value and is what attracts his audience.

Why should people automatically respect anyone's faith Julie ? - Perhaps you don't agree that respect should be earned and that there are other valid religions as well as Christianity. Should we not question what we are told? I certainly don't believe we should go around with blinkers on or keep our heads buried in the sand. That attitude seems to lead on into prejudice to me.

It would appear Michael that this Pat Condell gets quite a decent living from this sort of thing then.
As an atheist of 48 years I respected everyone's religions, when I found Faith I was slightly taken aback how many don't.

I am never sure respect has to be earned if that was the case we would never respect anyone until they earned the right. Myself I respect people unless they prove they should not be respected.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2013, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
As an atheist of 48 years I respected everyone's religions, when I found Faith I was slightly taken aback how many don't.

I am never sure respect has to be earned if that was the case we would never respect anyone until they earned the right. Myself I respect people unless they prove they should not be respected.
I tend to think in terms of tolerating rather than respecting Julie. It is possible to tolerate other religions and other people and we should try to mutually do so. When it comes to respect I do think it is something which is built up and earned over a period of time. I cannot blindly respect something or someone without having good reasons to do so and those reasons have little to do with seniority, class, race, fear or deference to a religion.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2013, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
He's 100% right Michael but I believe he's a bit harsh on the believers (or maybe I too have been partially brainwashed).
I agree. However it really annoys me that for any moral crisis they get a religious person (vicar/priest etc) to comment on it. Why not a policeman, Physicist or psychologist?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2013, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I agree. However it really annoys me that for any moral crisis they get a religious person (vicar/priest etc) to comment on it. Why not a policeman, Physicist or psychologist?
Religious people don't queue up to comment they are asked to comment so perhaps you need to ask the people who report these stories why they put so much store in a religious perspective.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2013, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Religious people don't queue up to comment they are asked to comment so perhaps you need to ask the people who report these stories why they put so much store in a religious perspective.
Depending on what the crisis is,I think the views of other established authorities are often sought as well, and it is because they want "establishment" input that they ask our religious leaders who represent the churches. However, I think context is important and rather than saying a religious perspective, I think I would find it more inclusive and acceptable to say they look for the perspective from a theological point of view.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2013, 01:18 PM

I know, that was not my point. Why are they asked?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

01-07-2013, 01:27 PM

I think Aerolor has answer that, I would add some of us want to hear what they say too.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2013, 03:05 PM

I 'discovered' Pat Condell last year on a news site I visit occasionally, I like his straightforward style and find his writing entertaining.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top