Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 07:35 PM

Re: Old age is no place for SISSYs

Not sure 'old age' has much to do with it does it? I mean the die is cast long before then surely. I've adopted attitudes and practises that were forged a long time and held firmly to them. MJK

Some people are born “old” and you’re right about our earlier experiences of life under 7 years of age or thereabouts shaping the way we are as adults.
People don’t change & they, by & large carry their good and bad traits on into later life.

Can't say any one thing has influenced me that much, just an assortment of stuff from all aspects of my life. As far as I'm concerned life is a bit of a struggle with old age but a part of it. I will say though that having an enquiring mind has helped me find the bits that I needed to come to terms with a lot of things. So for me having an enquiring mind has been the key as opposed to any words of wisdom that is. MJK

Thank you for that MJK, Perhaps I personalised the quote because it struck a chord with me. All around me I see senior citizens struggling to keep on top of their finances, declining mobility, disputes with government departments, family tensions and lots more. It seems a cruel twist of fate that in our declining years we have less resources to cope. We have to learn to say no. WE are increasingly in and out of our GPs or Hospital for more pills, Our life is not our own anymore. That’s a bit closer to what is meant by not being Sissies.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 07:55 PM

"I must use this moment wisely,
for it will soon pass away
And be lost to me forever
as part of yesterday."

Verse from : "Live Each Moment" poem - Anon
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 08:16 PM

I think in our modern world a little healthy cynicism is a good survival mechanism. I try to live by Benjamin Franklin's advice - "Believe only half of what you see and none of what you hear!"
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 08:33 PM

You're only as old as the man/woman that you feel, (if you can catch 'em!)
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
You're only as old as the man/woman that you feel, (if you can catch 'em!)
I think that might well be part of the problem as I'm just too damn fast for my own good .

I think a lot of good can come from the last few years of someone's life. My own has been enhanced by looking after my father towards the end. I looked after him totally and as luck would have it I was strong enough to do it alone. I got very close to my father during this time. Much closer than at any other time of my life.

When I think back now it isn't focussed on his failing health but on laughs we had when in some pretty awful situations. For a long time after he passed I was upset thinking back but now I have good memories only. I also have a sense of pride that he was my father whereas before that I didn't.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 08:43 PM

I always remember the words in that old song, I think it was sung by Max Bygraves "When you come to the end of your lollipop, that's when your heartaches begin", it helps me stay sane.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I always remember the words in that old song, I think it was sung by Max Bygraves "When you come to the end of your lollipop, that's when your heartaches begin", it helps me stay sane.
Jem, always our joker
Duckie
Australia
Duckie is male  Duckie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 10:40 PM

Better to learn marital arts before you get married.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 10:46 PM

Better to learn martial arts after you get married.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 07:28 AM

Another of Bette Davis

“There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne.”

( or chocolate! )

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top