Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2013, 11:49 AM

Re: End of an Era - Midlands Co-ops to close

I stand corrected. To be more precise concerning the origins of the Co-op...............

"The Rochdale Principles are a set of ideals for the operation of cooperatives. They were first set out by the Rochdale Society of Equitable Pioneers in Rochdale, United Kingdom, in 1844, and have formed the basis for the principles on which co-operatives around the world operate to this day "

WIKI.

BTW, I have removed my link.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2013, 04:02 PM

The high street is changing, you only have to look at what's happened with Jessops the camera people, the trading name and certain parts of the business (mostly the stock I would imagine) have been bought by Peter Jones but the stores on the high streets will disappear.

My online shopping experience with UK retailers has not been great. I personally think the future is 'click & collect' because that way any mistakes in the product, or damage, or incorrect quantity, etc. can be sorted at the counter. I object to online firms who try to keep the head count to an absolute minimum and rely on the customer doing all the work when it comes to returns etc.

I wonder what our high streets will look like in ten or twenty years time Charity shops and coffee bars if the present trend is anything to go by
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2013, 06:48 PM

Good point Losos, the high street is changing as are many aspects of our lives, thanks to the internet & the whirlwind technological advances in communication & commerce in particular. Mere mortals such as myself are being swept along by the seat of our pants trying to make sense of it all.

I find the history of retailing interesting and have a collection of books & ephemera relating to local shops as well as National companies. Looking back is sometimes reassuring, whereas the future looks increasingly uncertain & slightly scary.

The history of the Co-op is particularly interesting
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2013, 07:51 PM

We never had co-ops over here but I remember we had lots of well established shops when I was a boy, there was 'The Home and Colonial" "The Monument Creamery" "Liptons" "The Maypole" "Findlater's" and many more, all gone now. I actually worked in a branch of The Home and Colonial on a messenger bike for about six months.
Woolworths was my favourite for buying the lead soldiers, what a selection they had, I played with them every day when I got home from school, my hands would be black but it never caused me any harm, hated it when they started making them in plastic, they were too light and kept falling over every time someone opened or closed a door and they didn't feel right, I think they were my first encounter with plastic and I've hated plastic ever since, yes the death of the lead soldier was a great loss to us kids then.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2013, 08:00 PM

I know what you mean Jem - for me it was my paper doll... Meccano made up for my loss tho'
Woolworths was a favourite tho' - never thought we would see the end of Woolies....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top