Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 10:18 AM

Re: Discussion Sites Banning People Unreasonably

Originally Posted by Tezza ->
Like many others I have and still do belong to several forums. Although I have never been banned, I have had the odd occasion when a moderator has seen fit to make a comment on a post. I suppose we have to have some kind of checks on what goes out or we could easily develop into a twitter type feed, and reading some of those comments can be stomach turning. Whether or not they can muted as left wing or some other equally pointless phrase is disputable and in itself derogatory. Just saying.
Hi Tezza

Great to see you on the forum.

When mods quote the rules and delete posts, that's fair enough but when they delete because they disagree with the political view of the poster, I don't think that is fair.

I have never seen a post deleted because it is left wing biased but have seen plenty deleted because it is right wing biased. I say right wing but increasingly, it's anything right of centre.
Tezza
Kent
Tezza is male  Tezza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 10:30 AM

Thank you and hi Longdogs. I do agree, there can sometimes appear to be a political bias by some moderates but generally speaking a lot gets through and nobody appears to suffer unduly. It must ultimately be down to the poster to make sure he/ she makes their point without any over the top remarks.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Gravitas
Ever been on other forums? I have, and been banned more times that I can remember over the years.

I don't think there is one of them that was valid or fair. I think the problem is most mods are Left- wingers with a strong totalitarian instincts (not unlike on university campuses). That's why they wanted to be mods in the first place.

They will ban you just for stating facts. Left-wing posters, of course, don't have much trouble.

Anyone had similar problems?
Gravitas to be banned from one site is unfortunate, if it is more than one I would think it was time to consider my own attitude and misconceptions.

As for ''That's why they wanted to be mods in the first place'' I don't think the Mods on the 3 sites on which I have moderated ever wanted to be Mods it was more of an invitation that couldn't be refused.

Many years ago (14) I was banned from a Dog site for daring to disagree with the crowd who had been there a long time. Most of those with whom I disagreed had a poor knowledge of the subject under discussion and I told them so .

I then found Azz's (Admin here) dog site and he took me in despite the protestations of some members who also belong to the site from which I had been banned.

Was my ban fair, it was deemed to be so by the site owner and it was not for me to disagree with that.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
Ever been on other forums? I have, and been banned more times that I can remember over the years.

I don't think there is one of them that was valid or fair. I think the problem is most mods are Left- wingers with a strong totalitarian instincts (not unlike on university campuses). That's why they wanted to be mods in the first place.

They will ban you just for stating facts. Left-wing posters, of course, don't have much trouble.

Anyone had similar problems?
My dear old grandad used to say.

"Problems? what problems? I see only opportunities!"
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 12:12 PM

Gasp! MEG! you little rebel!

Seriously, like Art, I too would be thorought ashamed of myself if I was ever to be banned from a Forum. I have only ever been on two prior to OFF, one closed down and I deserted the other to come on here.

It would have to be a very serious matter for a forum to actually ban a member so although I am not the type of person to ever do so, if in the future I ever did inadvertently say anything to upset another member, or the forum itself, I would be the first to apologise in public to anyone and everyone rathen than be banned.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 12:16 PM

Some mods can be bossy and biased, but we all have the option of moving elsewhere if we don't like them.
Maybe we should all learn to control our tempers better, because that is the reason we get so angry when having a disagreement. Hell, it is only a discussion forum and there are no winner's prizes, so why don't we just make our point and leave it at that..... a bunch of old folk chatting on a forum isn't likely to prevent any wars!

Having said all that, imo you would find it difficult to find better mods than the ones we have on here.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 12:23 PM

Sounds like it's you that's got the problem rather than the Mods Gravitas, you seem to be carrying your multiple bans like a badge of honour similar to how many whacks of the cane we used to get at school.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Some mods can be bossy and biased, but we all have the option of moving elsewhere if we don't like them.
Twink, l don't agree with that bit!
Why should a jumped up, bossy and biased moderator drive a member off a site that they are supporting and enjoying?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 12:59 PM

There's no discussion if it's one sided, just a cyber love-in.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Definitely had a similar problem, as did many others when a new Mod was deleting lots of comments because they didn't agree with them, plus no reasons were given.
I suspect that may be the same site I used to visit and left for the same reason. I still regularly visit the very informative DIY sections, but refuse to even look in the general discussion section.

I'm proud to say that I have never been banned from any forum, presumably because I'm such a nice person.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top