Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2013, 11:38 AM

Re: Blind Date

Originally Posted by Willow ->
I was formally introduced to the man I was to marry when I was 15 and he was nearly 18, when he was visiting my home island from the UK. He is the much younger brother of the husband of a friend of my late Mother. Our courtship was mostly conducted by letter or phonecall, I was at school and he was at university. I only saw him at holiday times when either I flew over to the UK, or he flew over to our island. We married when I was nineteen. I still can't work out exactly what has made our relationship tick. He was a million light years more intelligent than me before his devastating illness, which has left him brain damaged, half his brain is completely trashed apparently. However in some respects he is still more intelligent. We have no interests in common apart from our children/grandchildren, but somehow we have managed to put up with each other for nearly 44 years.
As the saying goes - opposites attract. Must be difficult for both of you with your hubby having that devastating illness. And, if it was an arranged marriage, they work for a lot of folk.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2013, 01:28 PM

No Never, don't think I'd have the nerve to go on one either.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

25-02-2013, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
That's an arranged marriage, not a blind date And you say religious people are brainwashed Subservient to your husband too from what I have read sounds like a loveless one too, having to put up with each other.
You are talking complete TWADDLE as usual in your usual bitchy way! Of course our marriage wasn't arranged, my husband and I decided to get married, there was no pressure on us to do so. If anything our parents would have preferred us to have waited a year or two!
WinterRose
Ohio / Indiana
WinterRose is female  WinterRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2013, 02:02 PM

Well today marks 36 years { 2/25 - 1977 } I was in my SR. YR of HIGH SCHOOL ... and so my good friend & I had a Valentine's Day Parti planned and so all the invites were out & so then I ah get a call from my BOYFRIEND at the time and he had told me it was OVER between us and that he would not be coming to the parti ... My heart was broken but I was not going to let that ah STOP ME from having a good time. Well I went over to my girl - friends and we got things in order for the parti.

Well the guests started to arrive ... her boyfriend brought his ROOMATE { as you see they were Air Force } and so we got introduced and talked for awhile then ... my friend placed the song on the record player { member them } and so the song was: MY SWEET LADY { John Denver } and so I started to CRY and so the roomate that I had been talking to came over to me and held me close ... and told me it would all be ok. You see he too had a BLIND DATE set up but she backed out at the last minute.

Well after the song we sat and talked more and just had a good time talking & laughing. Then my other friend that was there put on another song ... Crimson & Clover { really oldie } and so something came over me and I leaned over towards him and kissed him & told him I was IN LOVE WITH HIM and well ... all I can say is that we were together the rest of the night ...

If you want to hear what happened next .. just ask or I will be back to share ...
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

25-02-2013, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Brandykins ->
As the saying goes - opposites attract. Must be difficult for both of you with your hubby having that devastating illness. And, if it was an arranged marriage, they work for a lot of folk.
As I said before it wasn't an arranged marriage, I don't think Brits do such things do they? My gosh if my parents had tried to force me to marry a guy of their choice all hell would have broken loose I assure you. My husband and I wanted to marry each other I promise you that.

As for my husband's illness, no it certainly isn't easy for either of us, particularly him. He can't do anything of an academic nature and that is desperately hard on him. He likes being around intelligent people, so it is great when the kids are visiting as they are very bright. The work colleagues he had before he retired have all given him a wide berth now, embarrassment I suppose that he isn't the highly articulate man he was. We just have to make the best of it, I just wish I could find an activity for him that he will find mentally stimulating.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2013, 03:07 PM

That must be really hard Willow, on both of you. I was saying to Uncle Joe on another thread that it's always the things you treasure most that you seem to lose. I would try and suggest some things but I'm sure you've already looked into it all.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2013, 03:17 PM

Oh I didn't mean to imply, Willow, that your marriage was arranged! I was just pointing out that arranged marriages do work - and yes, I know a few folk, some are good friends who had their marriages arranged! Mind you, their parents were from Pakistan! I kind of forgot that!

Terrible what people will do when someone gets ill. That isn't nice. It would be great if you could find something to stimulate his mind. Very difficult for you and trying as well. Just as well your hubby has an attentive wife to care for him.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland

25-02-2013, 03:19 PM

That's a lovely post, WR Those songs and the lad you met at the party, must have worked their magic on you

Look forward to hearing what happened next
WinterRose
Ohio / Indiana
WinterRose is female  WinterRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2013, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Brandykins ->
That's a lovely post, WR Those songs and the lad you met at the party, must have worked their magic on you Look forward to hearing what happened next
OOOOOOOOO yes stay tune I will share it later today

Willow
UK
Willow is female 

25-02-2013, 03:33 PM

BV My husband does attend a Probus men's group once a month for retired business and professional guys, which he enjoys. It is held in the morning, which is great as after 6pm he isn't firing on all cylinders so can't go out and about after that time. We did look at the University of the Third Age and he gave it a go, but he didn't enjoy it at all, not intellectually stimulating enough, and many people just ignored him, which wasn't very nice. He helped out at the local OXFAM shop for a year, but got very frustrated as he wasn't happy with the way it was being run, and frankly he found it boring. He enjoys gardening, and keeps ours and our daughter's vicarage garden in good order, that doesn't feed his brain. He can play chess, but isn't as good as he was, and has to rely on our daughter or eldest grandson for a game, which doesn't happen very often. He listens to classical music which he enjoys, and reads books on his Kindle.

If only I could find a highly intelligent person of a similar age who would be happy to come around once or twice a week to have serious intellectual discussions with him it would be great, my husband dislikes chit chat. But I have lucked out so far, because my husband can't always articulate his thoughts someone would have to be very patient with him. Hey ho!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top