Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 01:48 PM

Re: Learn a foreign language

To learn a language properly you need to understand grammar and be taught the full grammar in your chosen language. This means for example that you need to learn the full conjugation of verbs. So rather than learning just how to say "I want a cup of coffee" you learn "I want" , "you want", "he/she wants", "we want", "you (all) want" and "they want".

Best way to learn is to attend night school classes which is a lot of fun imho
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2018, 07:46 AM

I don't agree.
The best way to learn a language is to be immersed in the lanaguag and learn phrases .
In short communicative language ,
This is best done as a child when you will naturally pick up the correct grammatical usage -according to the people you mix with .
Of course as an adult learning grammar is helpful .
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2018, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Duo Lingo is an excellent App, one I've been using to learn Italian with for some time now. I also use Google Translate on my Android based phone and tablets. With the translate App, you can speak a word or sentence and it will translate it into Italian and vice-versa. Two must-have Apps IMO.
Ooh I love the sound of Italian
Yorkshire Italian would be even better

Share some with us Judd?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2018, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I have no wish to ever go abroad again, so don't need to learn a foreign language.
It's a good hobby, though. Last year I refreshed my Latin from both a phone app and a book.

Now Latin is dead, but it lives on in the language and words we use that come from it.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
It's a good hobby, though. Last year I refreshed my Latin from both a phone app and a book.

Now Latin is dead, but it lives on in the language and words we use that come from it.
It certainly does Dreamy.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2018, 06:44 PM

Keep the old grey matter on its toes too!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2018, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Ooh I love the sound of Italian
Yorkshire Italian would be even better

Share some with us Judd?
Okay, il mio fiore.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2018, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
To learn a language properly you need to understand grammar and be taught the full grammar in your chosen language. This means for example that you need to learn the full conjugation of verbs. So rather than learning just how to say "I want a cup of coffee" you learn "I want" , "you want", "he/she wants", "we want", "you (all) want" and "they want".

Best way to learn is to attend night school classes which is a lot of fun imho
That is the way I learnt German at school (and much of what I have forgotten).

I am about to attempt to relearn some of that, but I shall do it slowly and at my own pace. Duolingo seems to be going at about the right pace and in a conversational manner. I may later add to that by having a look at a German grammar book as well.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2018, 08:14 PM

Indeed it does. It appears here, there and all over the place, even when you're not expecting it!
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2018, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Would you like to learn a foreign language at your own pace?

This app (and there's also one for Crapple too) looks very useful and is free. I just tried the German option.

You start by having a go at translating from English to your language choice. If you get it wrong, it corrects it for you. Doing that, I already put right some of my misconceptions.

Then you create a profile and spend as much or as little time each day learning. Five minutes is the shortest option.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...paign%3Dsplash

Stick with me son and I'll take you places.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top