Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 11:32 AM

Re: Leaving workmen to get on with it.

Hi

I do, regularly.

The thing is I know them all and have known them for years.

Two already have a key for my new house, I dog sit for them, we are all members of the same fishing club, absolutely no problems at all.

I am very lucky in that respect.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 11:42 AM

I trust that the council will have a list of reputable companies that they use. I'm not worried about theft or damqage. it would be more than their reputation is worth I would imagine.

Also with my son having time off from work in the day he would be able to pop round any odd time to see how they're doing. I'd also give a key to my daughter for her to keep an eye on them too.

I haven't got anything much of value but any important/private papers would be locked in the safe - a leftover from when we had the business.

Another concern is Tony's Alzheimers. I think the disruption would upset him. I thought it would be better to get him away for a little holiday somewhere.

We haven't got a date for the work yet but this is just something I'm anticipating for the future.

Just interested to know what other people would do.
Newcomer
Dorset
Newcomer is female  Newcomer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 11:45 AM

When we had our bathroom changed we stayed put. That way we were on hand to decide on any queries that came up without someone making decisions for us that couldn't be altered if it wasn't quite what we wanted. Forward planning is all very well but sometimes things aren't possible when put into practice. We only have one loo so we had a portaloo outside the back door.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 11:57 AM

When my friend had hers done by the council she moved out

She also moved out when they done her kitchen

She just took her valuables and private papers with her and covered her furniture with dust covers and taped up the doors to the bedrooms and living room to try to keep as much dust out as possible
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 12:33 PM

Some years ago I did a rewire for a couple and a few weeks after that I was approached by some of their friends to rewire their home also. After giving them the price verbally, they gave me their house keys and told me to get on with it as they were going on holiday for the week. That's exactly what I did. No rifling through their drawers or sneaking a peek at their possessions, just cracked on with the rewire.

You have to learn to trust workmen/women when they come to work in your home. Being long established and having word of mouth recommendations is evidence of someone's integrity. I take it as a personal insult if I'm not to be trusted as I was brought up to be honest and if that trust didn't exist I would have not taken on the job.

That trust extends two ways. My customer's trust me to to do the job and I trust them to pay me when the job is done. I've never had anyone refuse to pay me except for a builder when I first started out. I ended up taking him to court to get my money back (£600) along with the lost interest.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Some years ago I did a rewire for a couple and a few weeks after that I was approached by some of their friends to rewire their home also. After giving them the price verbally, they gave me their house keys and told me to get on with it as they were going on holiday for the week. That's exactly what I did. No rifling through their drawers or sneaking a peek at their possessions, just cracked on with the rewire.

You have to learn to trust workmen/women when they come to work in your home. Being long established and having word of mouth recommendations is evidence of someone's integrity. I take it as a personal insult if I'm not to be trusted as I was brought up to be honest and if that trust didn't exist I would have not taken on the job.

That trust extends two ways. My customer's trust me to to do the job and I trust them to pay me when the job is done. I've never had anyone refuse to pay me except for a builder when I first started out. I ended up taking him to court to get my money back (£600) along with the lost interest.
Hi

Spot on Judds.

I buy all the materials and the professionals fit them.

I pay cash on the nail every time and at the end of every day if I am around.

I trust them, they trust me.

Winner all round.

This makes things much cheaper and easier all round.

It is the Yorkshire way of doing things, cash on the nail.

I have learnt my lessons doing work for big Companies, I charge them twice the price because of the difficulty of getting money out of them.

I did a structural calc for a friend last week.

Takes me 20 minutes, he moved a bookcase for me this morning.

Job done, everybody happy.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 01:10 PM

Is it possible to lock all the inside doors except the ones needed for access by the workmen.
That's what I would do, even if it meant putting temporary padlocks on them.
There's no need for them to go into any other rooms.
My daughters friend came home from work and found workmen sitting at her dining table drinking tea and eating biscuits, they just helped themselves.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 01:22 PM

If I did go & leave them I would give them free access to the kitchen

I'd tell them they were welcome to help themselves to drinks and refreshments. I may even leave a big tin of biscuits on the kitchen table with a note for them to help themselves.

I always believe in looking after workman and hope they'll be right with me.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
If I did go & leave them I would give them free access to the kitchen

I'd tell them they were welcome to help themselves to drinks and refreshments. I may even leave a big tin of biscuits on the kitchen table with a note for them to help themselves.

I always believe in looking after workman and hope they'll be right with me.
Although we do hear some horror stories, the chances are, everything will be fine. as you say, get your son to pop in but at varying times.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 02:42 PM

I once had an electrician who stole a watch that was on my bedside table.

It wasn't an expensive watch but looked like it cost far more about it. I phoned him up and told him I knew he stole it; he then hung up on me. I wouldn't trust anyone with my possessions, only family and friends.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top