Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 03:46 PM

Re: D Day Remembered

I don’t think we and future generations should ever forget the sacrifices made, not only on d,day, but throughout the entire conflict, yes the world had experienced the horrors of the First World War, but this conflict brought the war to civilians through the blitz, d,day was the first step to free Europe from nazi tyranny, I’m glad I never had to run up the beaches in 1944 , but many brave young men did, and a lot would never return
We should never forget them...
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 03:49 PM

Hear, hear Primus. Totally agree.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I don’t think we and future generations should ever forget the sacrifices made, not only on d,day, but throughout the entire conflict, yes the world had experienced the horrors of the First World War, but this conflict brought the war to civilians through the blitz, d,day was the first step to free Europe from nazi tyranny, I’m glad I never had to run up the beaches in 1944 , but many brave young men did, and a lot would never return
We should never forget them...
I disagree . It's OVER.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I disagree . It's OVER.
Yes thankfully it is
So let’s forget the bombings, of our cities
The thousands that never came home or were affected badly both physically and mentally,if they did , those that were imprisoned in Far East camps and treated brutally, the six million Jews killed in concentration camps,
Let’s consign it to history, completely forget all about it

Then we won’t ever make the same mistakes again

Will we?
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 04:07 PM

But why? Unless a line is eventually drawn under dates that were important for a few people for a few years every day would be a special day.
Important for a few years to a few people...really?

Not every day do 1000's die for the freedom of others.

I get upset if somebody forgets my birthday.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Yes thankfully it is
So let’s forget the bombings, of our cities
The thousands that never came home or were affected badly both physically and mentally,if they did , those that were imprisoned in Far East camps and treated brutally, the six million Jews killed in concentration camps,
Let’s consign it to history, completely forget all about it

Then we won’t ever make the same mistakes again

Will we?
Comerating anything about past wars will not make one iota of difference to what happens in the future especially when it's the Americans and Russians who should be leading the field. It was them that defeated the Axis powers, not the Brits.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

06-06-2020, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by reg ->
Important for a few years to a few people...really?

Not every day do 1000's die for the freedom of others.

I get upset if somebody forgets my birthday.
The defeat of the Axis powers principally by the Americans once having been dragged into the war by Pearl Harbour and the Russians who sacrificed MILLIONS before operation Barbarossa was squashed once Ogólna Zima (General Winter) kicked in tends to be overlooked by Brits even though having been driven into the sea and allowed to escape.

I KNOW this is something that probably most of you guys don't like to be reminded of or even believe but nonetheless that's reality.

There's a number of very good factual books that have been published in Russia as well as Germany that puts a very different light on things. One of a few in English is "We DIDN'T win the war! by Peter Hitchens that sets out the non-Jingoistic story.

Many very brave men engaged in awful conflict - of that there is no doubt.

But on BOTH sides.
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 04:48 PM

Is someone disputing the loss on both sides? No.

What we are doing is paying respect and saying "Thank you" to our own.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

06-06-2020, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by reg ->
Is someone disputing the loss on both sides? No.

What we are doing is paying respect and saying "Thank you" to our own.
It's over though. It's not as if they'll hear it and since so many young people don't know and don't even care who the protagonists were in WW2 what's the point?

Moreover lets never forget who was to blame for WW2. HINT - It wasn't the Germans. They certainly weren't the root cause nor did they declare war on Britain. It was the Brits who declared war on Germany.
reg
Manchester

06-06-2020, 05:08 PM

It's over though. It's not as if they'll hear it and since so many young people don't know and don't even care who the protagonists were in WW2 what's the point?

Moreover lets never forget who was to blame for WW2. HINT - It wasn't the Germans. They certainly weren't the root cause nor did they declare war on Britain. It was the Brits who declared war on Germany.
Do you believe the Earth is flat?
Than Princess Di was murdered and mankind didn't go to the moon?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top