Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 06:39 PM

Re: What a stroke of luck

Originally Posted by oldbugger ->
I may have survived, but I'll always have a limp
Had our gas boiler serviced the other day, the guy noticed our coffee pot and said he'd just bought one like it for his wife's birthday -- he had a limp too

Barry, maybe the lottery is a good idea
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 06:51 PM

You were lucky Barry, my things usually break down a couple of days after the warranty expires
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
You were lucky Barry, my things usually break down a couple of days after the warranty expires
Mine do too Meg, that's why I'm so amazed at my good fortune...
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I've never taken out extended warranties and although you were lucky with this one, generally they're an unnecessary expense.

The result is that any extended warranty is unlikely to be needed unless it extends into the later stages. This also means that they SHOULD be cheap - but they're not. That's how manufacturers increase their profit.
I agree George, but it's unusual for us to take out the extra cover, and ironically I've just worked out that with the continual fall in the price of electronics, we could now replace the set for the same cost as the premium which we paid for the extra cover! Crazy days eh....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 07:06 PM

Awesome!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 08:14 PM

Very good luck indeed .
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I
I remember at Uni, learning about the 'bathtub curve' of reliability. Basically, a graph of failure versus time of any device is roughly bathtub shaped. Any early life failures are dealt with within the warranty period. This is followed by a period of relative stability, but eventually, the device wears out and the failure rate rises dramatically.
I was just about to say the same thing. However I will add one piece of advice which i was given many years ago when I was an electronics tech and which I still tend to do now.

In line with the advice about the bathtub curve most new items I buy I run for 24 hours continuously, if it is going to fail it usually will during this period. Obviously not practical for something like a toaster but TV, DVD player, PVR, computer etc works a treat.

The good thing about this is that most retailers will replace an item that fails in the first day or two rather than repair it.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 10:25 AM

Good luck there Barry. I had a similar one last year. My Zanusi washing m/c seemed to be conking out so I had to search high and low for the buy date. I had three days to go on it and rang them up and managed to get a engineer to come out the next day to look at it. Luckily for me it was just the rubber around the door which had failed and nothing electrical so they mended that with a new one, checked it was OK and said you will probably have many years in it yet. So fingers X.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top