Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2014, 11:07 PM

Re: Bathing the kids

[QUOTE=clumsy;439975]I never took my son in the bath with me, a relaxing bath was the only time I got any peace and a little time to myself. No doubt anyone who takes their children into the bath or shower with them will have the PC brigade screaming child abuse if they ever find out.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I expect they would nowadays clumsy, but it was all very different 45 years ago. It just saved time (and bath water), and I hasten to add, he was only a toddler!
I see no harm in it whatsoever, personally.
Some people walk around the house in the nude in front of their kids, I wouldn't never have done that.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2014, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by oldbugger ->
That was never something my wife did and I certainly wouldn't have. People bring up their children in different ways, who am I to judge.

Well I guess by that, you don't approve of sharing a bath & playtime with your kids oldbugger. Would you not have sat in a paddling pool with with them either?
What about letting your kids climb in bed with you if they're poorly or frightened, do you feel that's wrong?
It's interesting how we all see things differently, and its good we have values albeit a little different sometimes.
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 08:44 AM

Having had two sons in quick succession they were bathed together and my "time out" was to shut myself in the bathroom and have a long luxurious soak all on my own!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 08:46 AM

TBH even if our kids had been ours I am not sure I would have done it, I wouldn't judge anyone else for doing it but my privacy is very important to me and I instilled that a bit into the kids too. Coming from a family where abuse had happened made me want to make them know their bodies were very much private from an early age. If I had been taught that I think I may have recognised the danger I was in much quicker.

What we are is formed by our own experiences and some of us may be a bit wonky when it comes to things like this but that doesn't mean any of us are wrong, just different.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 09:10 AM

I also had the tin bath until I was 16. I had to bathe with my sister because we couldn't fill the bath up twice
Then we got a new house with bath and inside toilet, yippee.
I used to bathe with both my sons when they were younger,
but that stopped when either of them became inquisitive.
I didn't think anything was wrong with it and they certainly
were not abused.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 09:14 AM

No I hope you didn't take from what I said I considered it abuse it's just when you have that background it does affect how you act with your own children.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

11-04-2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
I also had the tin bath until I was 16. I had to bathe with my sister because we couldn't fill the bath up twice
Then we got a new house with bath and inside toilet, yippee.
I used to bathe with both my sons when they were younger,
but that stopped when either of them became inquisitive.

I didn't think anything was wrong with it and they certainly
were not abused.

Thank goodness for that BowieEyes. I was beginning to feel like some kind of pervert!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

11-04-2014, 09:42 AM

[QUOTE=Julie1962;440145]No I hope you didn't take from what I said I considered it abuse it's just when you have that background it does affect how you act with your own children.[/QUOTE]

I was lucky never to have been in that position Julie, and I can't imagine how awful it must have been.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 09:59 AM

[QUOTE=Mups;440159]
Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
No I hope you didn't take from what I said I considered it abuse it's just when you have that background it does affect how you act with your own children.[/QUOTE]

I was lucky never to have been in that position Julie, and I can't imagine how awful it must have been.
Well it will 'obviously' colour your view of child rearing .....
Maybe being over protective, but that's how it would have been for me also. So I understand what Julie has said and should be read with that in mind.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 04:59 PM

The catch on the door of our old bathroom never 'caught properly, and as my son loved to jump in the bath with me, when he got older I would have to wait until it was quite late and he was deeply asleep before I would risk it. But right up until he was around seven, I would be relaxing and suddenly the door would burst open and he would leap in, invariably causing a tidal wave.

As for nudity, he has never been bothered by mine, pointing out that he fed from 'those' until he was fifteen months old, and emerged from 'there' having had a more intimate view than anyone else. Although he does keep his 'dangly bits' well covered and hidden from my poor eyes.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top