Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2015, 09:44 PM

Re: Swingers.

I prefer to keep them in me pockets when I'm not holding anything, especially when it's cold, no energy whatsoever required. I'm definitely not a swinger, I think swinging your arms is strictly for soldiers and I had enough of that when I did me two years reserve.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 10:59 AM

This thread slipped by me so apologies to OP who thought it would be of interest.

My 2penneth on why we swing our arms.

Essentially it happens because everything is connected. Our arms, when walking are essentially pendulums hanging loosely at our sides. It we tense the muscles at the shoulders in any way then they cease to be pendulums and are rigid limbs and stop swinging.

Whilst our arms are acting as pendulums, the simple laws of physics dictate that they will be affected by any other forces connected to them. Thus the movement of the rest of our body, the rhythm created by our gait and stride, creates forces which act on our pendulum arms.

This principle is called resonance and is best described by something called "Barton's Pendulums". See the picture below.

Here there is a heavy pendulum on the left (X) and a number of other pendulums suspended at differing heights. ALL the pendulums are suspended from one horizontal string/cable.
Now when pendulum X is set in motion what happens is that it creates forces in the horizontal string and those affet the other pendulums which being swinging themsevles but at different rates. The pendulm at the same height as X is the one that swings the most as it is in resonance with it.

In a similar way I believe our arms swing because of the motion of our main body mass and they swing in resonance with that motion.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 11:31 AM

just bloody awesome..........
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Oh im so disappointed, what a let down just saw the title and my little heart was a beating like the clappers. At last the dirt would be dished.
Originally Posted by TessA ->
I admit I thought the same as Nom.
Wicked people! I thought it was about bell ringers
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 05:07 PM

Yip!..I'm a swinger allright...If You walk around with both hands in Yer pockets,You're likely to get a very sore face/head if You trip and fall forwards...ooops!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 05:36 PM

What does it mean when only one arm swings,? I noticed only my left arm swings while my right is perfectly still..
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
What does it mean when only one arm swings,? I noticed only my left arm swings while my right is perfectly still..
Is your left leg missing ?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Is your left leg missing ?
Nearly fell off me chair
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
just bloody awesome..........
Something for people to try if you are at all inquisitive.
Take a rod, say an old broom handle and tie a bit of string at each end then dangle something from them, say a couple of mineral water bottles half filled with water.

Then, with the rod across your shoulders set off walking and see if the bottles start swinging regularly.

Will they swing alternately or in sync?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2015, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Here's one for Realist (and anyone else). When walking why do we swing our arms ?
so the pedometers will work??

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top