Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 08:46 PM

Re: Hugs are good for you

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I always think about the elderly who are probably in need of hugs the most.

When we experience a hug, pressure receptors signal the vagus nerve, which stimulates or parasympathetic (rest, relax, digest) system. When that parasympathetic system is stimulated, neurotransmitters are released and our blood pressure drops. We really do become happier and more relaxed!

If hugs are out (living along, Covid etc.), hugging a pet, self-hugging (yep, it works), and weighted blankets can all stimulate those baroreceptors, too!
My old Mother used to break wind when she was hugged, SM.

I wonder which one of those long words was responsible for that?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 08:46 PM

I still have my sister living nearby for a hug, or I just keep hugging the dog!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I always think about the elderly who are probably in need of hugs the most.

When we experience a hug, pressure receptors signal the vagus nerve, which stimulates or parasympathetic (rest, relax, digest) system. When that parasympathetic system is stimulated, neurotransmitters are released and our blood pressure drops. We really do become happier and more relaxed!

If hugs are out (living along, Covid etc.), hugging a pet, self-hugging (yep, it works), and weighted blankets can all stimulate those baroreceptors, too!

Thank you Mom, for confirming physical contact is important, and that it really is beneficial to our mental and physical health.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
My old Mother used to break wind when she was hugged, SM.

I wonder which one of those long words was responsible for that?

Perhaps you squashed her too hard, Ted.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 09:06 PM

Hug a tree
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I didn't know, but apparently January 21st is National Hugging Day, mostly in America. I'd never heard of it.

I believe you're either 'a hugger' or you're not. I appreciate it's not for everyone.
I personally lean towards being a hugger, but of course it depends on the circumstances.

I think there are so many different types of hugs, from a quick 'tatar' one when leaving friends, to more intimate types between partners, then different again for children, as well as the horrid, leery type attempted by 'opportunists'!

What I did find interesting though, is the therapeutic affect such a simple, free, act can have on us, not only for those on the receiving end, but for the 'giver' as well, especially the pressing heart-to-heart ones.

It is proven to be able to reduce stress, loneliness, anxiety, and depression. It can even heal some illnesses too.

So until we are allowed to do this simple gesture once more, here's a nice squashy one for everyone here, and I hope it goes a little way to tide you over till things are back to normal again.

I would hug people more than I do, but you can never be sure they want to be hugged. I think "Please Hug Me" T-shirts would be useful for those in need of one. And perhaps a "Keep Your Hands To Yourself" T-shirt for those who aren't.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

28-01-2021, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by paula ->
Oh Mups.....that hug was appreciated

Does us the world of good, doesn't it, Paula.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

28-01-2021, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I would hug people more than I do, but you can never be sure they want to be hugged. I think "Please Hug Me" T-shirts would be useful for those in need of one. And perhaps a "Keep Your Hands To Yourself" T-shirt for those who aren't.

That can be true, Harbal, but if you know the other person well enough, surely you could guess whether they would appreciate it or be offended?

On the other hand, the T-Shirts might work, too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

28-01-2021, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Hug a tree

Not sure you'd get much response though.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 11:19 PM

Us is the start of Uselessness.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top