Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2010, 03:18 PM

Re: Is it?

I`m sure language does evolve,it`s just that I do not.

I get very fed up trying to listen to someone who says `like` every other word and raises the pitch of their voice at the end/middle of sentence when they are not asking a question
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

28-09-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->

I get very fed up trying to listen to someone who says `like` every other word and raises the pitch of their voice at the end/middle of sentence when they are not asking a question

LOL

Yeah , the Ozzies / Aussies (sp ) do that , dont they ?

That upward inflection at the end /. middle is sooooooooo confusing if you`re not used to hearing it .
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Topaz ->
Awww Brandykins , that was lovely and I understood all of it ( lol )............
In fact I was fair peerie heeded efter reading it aw , but i`m almost sure a couple of mistakes have been made ( not your fault hun )

I think it should read Trams and Those , what say you ?

I agree with Aerolor , that language is , and always has been , ever evolving
Ah couldnae agree mair wi' ye Topaz I always loved Francie and Josie and saw nearly every one of their shows. Also the great Stanley Baxter who brought out the Parliamo Glasgow

Aye those were ra days
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

28-09-2010, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Brandykins ->
Ah couldnae agree mair wi' ye Topaz I always loved Francie and Josie and saw nearly every one of their shows. Also the great Stanley Baxter who brought out the Parliamo Glasgow

Aye those were ra days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k45uS...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMnKP...eature=related

Oh my ! ......... Francie , Josie and Stanley Baxter used to make me laugh like Billy oh .......... Could bring tears to a glass eye they could .

Dont know if you are aware , or even interested Brandykins , but there is a " Hidden Glasgow " Forum ......Here is the Link ............

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/index.php

You have nothing to lose by having a wee neb aroont it ( LOL ) ..........
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2010, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Aerolor, which would you rather read or listen to, the #'s/letters on the left or the meaning on the right?
? I have a question
? I don't understand what you mean
?4U I have a question for you
;S Gentle warning, like "Hmm? what did you say?"
^^ Meaning "read line" or "message above"
<3 Meaning "sideways heart" (love, friendship)
Meaning "broken heart"
<33 Meaning "heart or love" (more 3s is a bigger heart)
@TEOTD At the end of the day
.02 My (or your) two cents worth
121 One-to-one (private chat initiation)
1337 Leet, meaning 'elite'
143 I love you
14AA41 One for all, and all for one
19 Zero hand (online gaming)
10X Thanks
1CE Once
1DR I wonder
I appreciate what you are saying AB, and some of them must be for texting on mobile phones, which I do not do much (so it is another sort of language). I did note that you started your original post with the abreviation "IMO" - is that an abbreviation that means "in my opinion"
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

28-09-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I appreciate what you are saying AB, and some of them must be for texting on mobile phones, which I do not do much (so it is another sort of language). I did note that you started your original post with the abreviation "IMO" - is that an abbreviation that means "in my opinion"

Touché ...........

buttercup
Wiltshire
buttercup is female  buttercup has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2010, 06:28 PM

Interesting article in The Mail Wednesday (and online) by John Humphrys on teen-speak.
alima
surrey
alima is female  alima has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2010, 07:41 PM

It's a question of time and place.

I love slang and I love colourful language.

But everyone should know how and when to express themselves in the appropriate context. If the youth of today (or anyone else) don't know this, then they have been let down somewhere along the line.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2010, 08:08 PM

Everyone knows one had an English Public School education so one has impecable vowel sounds-yeah like the Pope is a Baptist mate.

I can understand accents/dialects from Glasgow(or even Inverness) down to Devon taking in the North East,Brum,the `black` country and norfolk-anywhere basically..

And why? because it makes sense, gooble dee gook does not
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2010, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->

Those are two things that I also find very annoying, as well as people who add "y'know" every other word also. I've tried saying. "No, I DON'T know", but it goes over their head.

I am guilty of using a few common acronyms when posting such as LOL, IMO, ROTFL, OMG .......

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top