Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2015, 03:37 PM

Re: Trucks vs Cyclists

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm not sure it's just the lycra wearers, worse cycling I witnessed on the way home last night was a lady struggling along with a trailer she had no intention of stopping or signalling at all, scary thing was she had a child strapped to her back too and as it was getting dark no lights either.
Oh I've seen ladies with a wooden box at the back of the cycle with a baby inside - I really could not believe my eyes !
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2015, 04:24 PM

Today I saw two young men on a bicycle, one sitting on the handlebars, he was signalling as they went around a mini- roundabout!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2015, 04:27 PM

It makes you wonder where they keep their brains
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2015, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It makes you wonder where they keep their brains
Comes back to common sense - not many possess it
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2015, 05:18 PM

Should lorries be made to cater for cyclist safety? Yes, I think they should. Cyclists sure do break the rules (as do drivers and pedestrians) but the problems are basically caused by too many motor vehicles being on the roads. It must be quite tempting sometimes for a cyclist to just get through wherever possible. After all, it isn't them that's the major cause of the problem. It's the sheer number of lorries and other motor vehicles that have built up on out roads with no control over numbers at all. Even as motorists, we surely know this?

A motor vehicle is a ton upwards of metal pounding at the road surfaces, wearing them out. Cars are carrying, mostly, only one person from one place to another. How silly is that when you think about it? All that metal and pollution just to get one person about. I drive too, maybe we all do but surely it is possible to see that it isn't cyclists who cause the worst problems on the roads.

Grumble about cyclists yes but let's not forget what it is that makes them sometimes bad. It's the congestion of traffic. Rules and regulations, road markings have come into play now that didn't exist years ago, purely to keep the large volume of motor vehicles moving ..and even that often doesn't work. On the other hand, cyclists are light, take up hardly any width and get where they want to go.

Don't knock the cyclist because she or he means one less motor vehicle on the road. No pollution and no wearing road surfaces out. Cyclists should be encouraged and even given priority over motor vehicles for this reason.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

26-06-2015, 05:24 PM

Great post - and I agree cyclists 'should' be encouraged
Its also a fair point regarding the 'amount' of cars and lorries on the roads, it is a nightmare and I do feel for cyclists but, I feel more for their safety and they 'do' take risks
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2015, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Don't get me started about cyclists, especially on country roads! Anyway, do cyclists have to obey speed limits? I get overtaken by them in 20 mph zones often!
I go to work on country roads and the roads that I use are often used by huge Tipper Trucks or articulated trucks serving the Scrap Industry, which is a bit of a pain at times BUT it pales to insignificance compared to the stupid bastards on bikes!

What kind of dipstick thinks it is acceptable for 20+ cyclists to spread across most of a single-track country road, then gesticulate at angry drivers having to swerve or slam on the brakes to avoid looney cyclists who obviously think that they have the God-given right to take over the road?!

It's like the ones that cycle on pavements - who the F**** do they think they are?

When I was a kid we were told how to cycle responsibly on roads and what to do to avoid confrontations.

When I cycled to and from work I abided by that.

The current generation think that they own the roads.

Sorry pal but we all have responsibilities on the roads are yours are to not behave as if you are made of steel and give us some bloody leeway - OK?! stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

26-06-2015, 05:48 PM

Bloomin 'eck Steve - you make it sound like motorists are saints !
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2015, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Bloomin 'eck Steve - you make it sound like motorists are saints !
Sorry Patsy but I get so annoyed at the cyclists around here.

I am trying to get to or from work and they seem to have all the time in the world to indulge their hobby.

Respect and consideration today is a dirty word. stevmk2
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2015, 05:56 PM

I drive and cycle on country roads, responsibly I hope. As a driver, I've never come across that kind of problem. If I did, I'd like to think I could do so without getting so angry. Anger can cause accidents just the same as bad cyclists can.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top