Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 12:32 AM

Re: My Son

As others have said, there is Skype etc these days. You do get used to it, my son went more or less straight to an Army training college from school, then into the Army, then tours wherever he was sent, Belize, Germany, Kenya and other places. We never knew where he was half the time, mostly it was a quick postcard or letter letting us know he was okay. These days it´s so much better, we can see and talk to him via Skype. I´m sure your son will ensure he keeps in constant touch with you. You might find you see more of him now than when he was living at home.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 12:48 AM

Hi Swims
What a great post about your boy he sounds lovely and such a good son.
My son lives in Australia but he is coming to see us in two weeks.
I haven't seen him for two years so cant wait.
I use facetime and skype to keep in touch .
I am sorry to hear that you are not so well .
we will cheer you up when we come on the forum outing to your place
( that will get you mobile pdq )
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Leg brace?
Hi

Yep

Idiotic I know, still think that I am 30 not sixty odd.

I absolutely hate putting the young ones in danger.

They have wives and kids, a long future in front of them.

I am an old git, no wife, kids already provided for.

My brain is still as sharp, but my body is showing it's age.

It is difficult to let go, but perhaps the time has come.

I am nowhere near as fit as the younger ones, they are bollocking me.

You have trained us well, let go, if we need you we will ask.

Perhaps better I let go and stay in the background.

I love my staff, would do anything for them, but perhaps better I realise that my skills are best left miles away from the front line.

A Planner, rather than a doer.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160903_000542.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1801  
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 03:19 AM

SF I hope your leg soon heals ,that must be the last thing you need to cope with on top of everything else..sending you some
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 07:07 AM

You have done your job well SF, your son has the confidence to go out into the world and make his own way. Something as parents it is part of our duty too our family.

Still hurts though.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 07:36 AM

Swim, as others have said, you may not be able to sit in the same room as your son, but you can talk to him on Skype and keep in touch. He is just living his life as you did at his age.

I would also like to ask why you always take this altruistic approach to life? Of course there are young men, with families, doing the job, that you do, so why should you be the one who takes all the risks, you have already done your bit? It won't make you a hero, so why not take care of your own needs for a change?
You are now reaching retirement, like many others on here, so start looking for something to entertain you instead of working....because you said , on here, that you didn't want to go back to work last time. I am sure the enforcement teams can manage without you, and even if they can't you are entitled to your retirement!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 07:53 AM

You should feel so proud , what a great dad you must be . A tough time for you and one we've all been through , but nothing stays the same life has taught us this . When life takes a dip I say to myself "this will pass " and it does and new things come in and we adjust to life don't we . Life may feel a little dipped at the moment but it will be a new way of life for you SF. I hope your leg gets better and new doors open for you .

Big hug x
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Swim, as others have said, you may not be able to sit in the same room as your son, but you can talk to him on Skype and keep in touch. He is just living his life as you did at his age.

I would also like to ask why you always take this altruistic approach to life? Of course there are young men, with families, doing the job, that you do, so why should you be the one who takes all the risks, you have already done your bit? It won't make you a hero, so why not take care of your own needs for a change?
You are now reaching retirement, like many others on here, so start looking for something to entertain you instead of working....because you said , on here, that you didn't want to go back to work last time. I am sure the enforcement teams can manage without you, and even oif they ca't you are entitled to your retirement!
Hi

Twink, I am not so arrogant as to assume that they cannot do without me, of course they can.

I am who I am, I will never change.

I can retire very easily, I will be doing volunteer work and fishing.

I am quite good at both.

I will also be trying to find myself a nice lady to grow old disgracefully with.

Unfortunately I am not very good at finding a nice lady.

In fact I am not very good with ladies at all, I am quite shy in that respect, completely different to my very confident professional persona.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Twink, I am not so arrogant as to assume that they cannot do without me, of course they can.

I am who I am, I will never change.

I can retire very easily, I will be doing volunteer work and fishing.

I am quite good at both.

I will also be trying to find myself a nice lady to grow old disgracefully with.

Unfortunately I am not very good at finding a nice lady.

In fact I am not very good with ladies at all, I am quite shy in that respect, completely different to my very confident professional persona.
Well you won't meet many nice ladies fishing, but you may when doing voluntary work. Once you are out of the job, look for new things you can learn, that you would enjoy, where you can meet new people. You are always polite and friendly, so if you meet somebody nice, ask if she would like to join you for a coffee......... and keep asking different ones! They won't all accept but, one day, one of them will, and that is the first step towards find a new lady.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 08:57 AM

Know how you feel. My youngest son married a girl from Brazil and now lives out there. I have 3 granddaughters out there and the youngest we havn't even seen. Yes skype does help but it is not the same

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top