Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2017, 10:48 AM

Re: The Chase

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
How do you mean realist? I have always thought that the chaser's time seemed longer, so one day I timed it with a stop watch (I know how sad that sounds) and it was exactly the same as the contestants.
That isn't sad dongle, many people would check to make sure the game was fair, and that is exactly why the TV would not use tactics like that!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2017, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
That isn't sad dongle, many people would check to make sure the game was fair, and that is exactly why the TV would not use tactics like that!
Thanks Twink. I feel better now.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2017, 10:56 AM

A Think Tank is a room full of heavily qualified (in the Education/Degrees sense) who have little experience of the world out there.

If they don't come out, with a doom labelled warning, nobody listens to them.

Few take them seriously anyway!

We might all come to the same conclusions, if we sit and think about the way Humanity is going (growing & behaving) .

Nothing will be changed until the Countries with the biggest populations see fit to fix it.

Note that China tried, by limiting the number of offspring one family could have, but now they've backed out of that.

However, Space travel might be going places soon? (pun intended).
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2017, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
How do you mean realist? I have always thought that the chaser's time seemed longer, so one day I timed it with a stop watch (I know how sad that sounds) and it was exactly the same as the contestants.
Yep it's deceptive I know but trust me, the Chasers have a HUGE advantage.

Next time you watch the programme observe the final round.

Every time the contestants answer a question they must:

1. Press their buzzer
2. Wait for the adjudicator to say their name
3. Then they may answer

Every time this happens they lose at least 1 second of time in items 1 and 2 above.

By the time they have answered say 18 questions in the allotted time, they have had to WAIT for 18 seconds of that time just to buzz and wait for their name.

18 seconds is VERY significant in this game.

The Chaser on the other hand doesn't have to buzz nor has to wait for anyone to call his name every question so he/she can blitz through he answers at top speed, even interrupting Bradley's questions if required. The contestants can't do that, they MUST always buzz and wait.

The net result is that the Chasers get a full 1.5 minutes for their final chase whereas the contestants only get about 1 min 10 seconds of actual answering time.

That situation allows the Chasers (and programme producers) to dictate the outcome.

Contestants can only win if and when the Chasers and Producers allow them to.

This said, every cash quiz show is rigged in similar fashion. They have to be to maintain control, just as every reality TV voting show is rigged.

Nevertheless, The Chase is worth watching for those few golden moments when Bradley gets the giggles !
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2017, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Yep it's deceptive I know but trust me, the Chasers have a HUGE advantage.

Next time you watch the programme observe the final round.

Every time the contestants answer a question they must:

1. Press their buzzer
2. Wait for the adjudicator to say their name
3. Then they may answer

Every time this happens they lose at least 1 second of time in items 1 and 2 above.

By the time they have answered say 18 questions in the allotted time, they have had to WAIT for 18 seconds of that time just to buzz and wait for their name.

18 seconds is VERY significant in this game.

The Chaser on the other hand doesn't have to buzz nor has to wait for anyone to call his name every question so he/she can blitz through he answers at top speed, even interrupting Bradley's questions if required. The contestants can't do that, they MUST always buzz and wait.

The net result is that the Chasers get a full 1.5 minutes for their final chase whereas the contestants only get about 1 min 10 seconds of actual answering time.

That situation allows the Chasers (and programme producers) to dictate the outcome.

Contestants can only win if and when the Chasers and Producers allow them to.

This said, every cash quiz show is rigged in similar fashion. They have to be to maintain control, just as every reality TV voting show is rigged.

Nevertheless, The Chase is worth watching for those few golden moments when Bradley gets the giggles !
Thanks Realist, yes I see what you mean. Like I said, I always thought there was an advantage but couldn't see how. You have explained it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2017, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I also think it possible that human life will reduce by 19%, but there will be many causes.

It seems that never a week goes by, these days, without a disaster like flood, hurricane, tsunami or earthquake happens.

There seems to be war or terrorist activities constantly, and that means many people are killed

In other parts of the world there is great famine, probably caused by hotter, drier climates. They say that food shortages will hit the rest of the world soon.

Many of these problems will lead to poor health, and as the Ebola crisis demonstrated, it will only take a few people to spread awful diseases across the world.

We were all warned about this , but nobody took the warnings seriously!
I don't think they meant that there would be a 19% reduction of the population Twink, I think they meant that there was a 19% chance that the world would be devoid of all human life by 2100.
And being warned of impending doom is worthless because (1) Nobody would believe you without some very convincing proof, or even care. (2) On a global scale, it wouldn't make any difference anyway. And even if it did, only a very small percentage of the population of the world would even take part, that's assuming they knew and understood. This is why the fight against Global Warming is preposterous. Global warming will take place (if it is happening) with or without our help. It is a natural phenomenon and has been occurring on and off for billions of years. I will concede that it's probably happening at a greater rate with our assistance, but happen it will. Places that once were habitable will soon be barren. No matter how much money you throw at the problem. The Earth is a living planet, constantly changing, warming and cooling, sometimes with devastating results for the human race. We haven't been here very long in the grand scheme of things and have not witnessed all that nature is capable of. (3) Who will pay to save mankind. When push comes to shove, it will be every man for himself.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2017, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I don't think they meant that there would be a 19% reduction of the population Twink, I think they meant that there was a 19% chance that the world would be devoid of all human life by 2100.
And being warned of impending doom is worthless because (1) Nobody would believe you without some very convincing proof, or even care. (2) On a global scale, it wouldn't make any difference anyway. And even if it did, only a very small percentage of the population of the world would even take part, that's assuming they knew and understood. This is why the fight against Global Warming is preposterous. Global warming will take place (if it is happening) with or without our help. It is a natural phenomenon and has been occurring on and off for billions of years. I will concede that it's probably happening at a greater rate with our assistance, but happen it will. Places that once were habitable will soon be barren. No matter how much money you throw at the problem. The Earth is a living planet, constantly changing, warming and cooling, sometimes with devastating results for the human race. We haven't been here very long in the grand scheme of things and have not witnessed all that nature is capable of. (3) Who will pay to save mankind. When push comes to shove, it will be every man for himself.

Care to put a number on that.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2017, 11:13 PM

Does the so called Realist over analyze ?
( Can't I spell that with an S ? analyse )

It is a game show......game......show.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Care to put a number on that.
Not on your Nelly.....
That's a whole new topic for a thread and a very contentious one at that Spitty....

Here is an article by the BBC that suggests the most basic kind of life discovered.....and they are not usually wrong are they....?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-39117523

And here is another about remains found supposedly belonging to the earliest man.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31718336

So it would seem that 2.8 million years is the most probable but it's still bugger all compared to the 4.5 billion years since the earth was formed. However, the bible teaches us that the earth is only 6000 years old........

https://answersingenesis.org/age-of-...-is-the-earth/
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 12:25 PM

I have read that if you thought of the time of earth's existence in terms of 24 hours
Humans been around for 1second

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top