Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 06:35 PM

Re: Shakespeare Love him or hate him?

So what?
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 06:39 PM

What's not to like?!
I did Romeo and Juliet (amongst others)
And once you understand the words it's a beautiful story full of characters we recognise in modern day scenarios

Better to see live plays though...
A good actor will play all the asides and extra cheeky humour that Elizabethan audiences would have revelled in
There was no telly in them days?!
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 06:40 PM

I've always been a reader and got to know Shakespeare in primary school, when I played Titania. I had no problem learning my lines and those of Oberon too, which was helpful, since the girl playing the part forgot them and I was able to prompt her. The boys loved playing the artisans and we all had a great time when we came to the performance. We didn't do the whole play, just the forest scenes.

I think that's the best way to teach Shakespeare, by acting it out, so you understand the language and know what it's all about, rather than trying to read and comprehend it at first sight.

Over the years I've seen many of the plays performed live, as well as the films and now just watch the comedies, or any worth while adaptation. There is still much to be learned from them and watching the Kings and tragedies reveals so much about politics and how it's still all about greed and power and vanity. Just as it has always been.

It's a great pity that he doesn't seem to be taught in that simple and obvious way today, because he was the greatest writer we have ever produced and a little concentration on writing skill, development of language and the unchanging essence of the human spirit can only be of benefit to children.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 06:44 PM

I said wot Moreover said!

Only one hath not scribed so well!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 07:04 PM

Let me play the fool,with mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come. But for the evil one I really should have done arts and not science at A level and Hardy?-I felt for Gabriel
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 07:05 PM

moreover's exposition is admirably correct, as Rhian has already said.

Purwell, I was trying to point out simply that it must be a good measure of the bard's influence that so much of his writings have passed into the common speech of the populace.

And............if he couldn't find a word that suitable he just invented one.

examples,

accommodation
aerial
amazement
apostrophe
assassination
auspicious
baseless
bloody
bump
castigate
changeful
clangor
control (noun)

so there!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 07:08 PM

In Verona there is a statue of Juliet-one tit shines from being rubbed-I jest not
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

30-05-2016, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
In Verona there is a statue of Juliet-one tit shines from being rubbed-I jest not
Good for Juliet!
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 08:57 PM

Juliet was 13 years old. They wouldn't have been very big, probably.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 09:06 PM

I'm ashamed to say I've never read anything by Shakespeare. We didn't cover him at school.

I only know this: 'To be or not to be, that is the question. Whether it is nobler'....and that's all I know

Hey, I'm on a roll here is this Shakespeare too:
'A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse'

edited

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top